Q. Would it be better to get steroid injection before ablation for neck pain?

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 01, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 15, 2020

I have had right-sided chronic cervical neck pain for the past six months. My MRI revealed the following. Bulging discs, C6-C7 and C5-C6 osteophytes and severe bilateral stenosis and typical degenerative disc disease. I visited a pain doctor hoping for a cervical steroid procedure, but instead got a cervical medial branch block, which provided relief for only one day. Now, he wants to do a facet radiofrequency ablation in the cervical area. Would it be better to do a cervical steroid injection before the ablation? I had same condition four years before and was treated with cervical steroid injections. I am currently on Lidocaine patches and Voltaren cream. Also, taking Quinine sulfate for leg cramps.

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Neuro Surgery Neurology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help you.

• You have had the same condition four years ago and treated with cervical steroid injections (three) and pain disappeared. Now, the pain has reappeared. Hence, steroids may not be of use now. You have to undergo the next procedure.
  • In future, if you develop numbness or weakness, neither steroids nor ablation will help. You may need surgery.

For further information consult a neuro surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neuro-surgeon

|