Q. Would it be better to get steroid injection before ablation for neck pain?

Dr. J. Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 01, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 24, 2021

I have had right-sided chronic cervical neck pain for the past six months. My MRI revealed bulging discs, C6-C7 and C5-C6 osteophytes and severe bilateral stenosis, and typical degenerative disc disease. I visited a pain doctor hoping for a cervical steroid procedure but got a cervical medial branch block, which provided relief for only one day. He wants to do a facet radiofrequency ablation in the cervical area. Would it be better to do a cervical steroid injection before the ablation? Four years before, I had the same condition and was treated with cervical steroid injections. I am currently on Lidocaine patches and Voltaren cream. Also, taking Quinine sulfate for leg cramps.

#

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help you. Four years ago, you had had the same condition and were treated with cervical steroid injections (three), and the pain disappeared. Now, the pain has reappeared. Hence, steroids may not be of use now. You have to undergo the following procedure. In the future, if you develop numbness or weakness, neither steroids nor ablation will help. You may need surgery.

|