Q. Why do I have a constant feeling of anxiety and negative thoughts?

This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 24, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 28, 2021

I am a 24 year old female, and I am a doctor myself. I just graduated from college and got a job. I have this constant feeling of anxiety, and my heart rate does not seem to get lowered. I cannot shut my mind from worrying about what might happen in the future, I always think of the worst. I have this constant feeling that I have no friends and I would not be able to marry my boyfriend, because of some reasons that do not even exist right now. I feel that being happy will only lead to being sad, so it is better to be sad. I think I should reach for help, but I am apprehensive as to what my parents will think. I feel I am holding back on my happiness. Not enjoying my current achievements at all, and only worried about the future and what all is lacking in me. It is taking a toll on my studies.

#

I can understand your concern. A lot of individuals at your age suffer such anticipatory anxiety and stress about future.

• You are in a job and have anticipation about the things that are not going to happen. You are thinking about the worst scenario, not feeling happy, not enjoying current achievements, and these could be considered normal to some extent. But if you are facing problems in your day to day activities and the job, then that could be a sign of mild depression or generalized anxiety.
  • Try to keep yourself busy with some productive activities apart from studies, like listening to music in low volume might help you in anxiety and this will surely lift your mood.
  • Try to find out the things that are resulting in distress, and think about this stuff. Are you really stressing or you are just overreacting to these thoughts?
  • Increase intake of vitamin B12 and folate in your diet, you can use supplements too. You can also take Omega 3 fatty acid rich foods like walnuts, sardine, fish, etc., and this will help to reduce the depressive symptoms.
  • Get your thyroid profile done, to rule out hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism, as both these conditions result in depressive symptoms.

Follow these steps, and I am sure you will see improvement in yourself. Believe in yourself, and hard work will reduce any anticipatory anxiety.

For further queries consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|