Q. My 7 week old baby's bilirubin level is 6. 8 mg/dL. Kindly advise the drug and care.

Dr. Veerabhadrudu Kuncham

My baby is 7 weeks old. He is totally on breastfeed. Yesterday we noticed that his eyes were yellow and we took him to a doctor today. The doctor advised us a bilirubin test. The reports read as bilirubin total 6.8 mg/dL, bilirubin direct 0.9 mg/dL and bilirubin indirect 5.9 mg/dL. Kindly advise medication and care if the baby's jaundice is high. The baby sleeps during the day and is usually awake at night. However, for the past few days, he has been very cranky and cried a lot. The doctor had advised us Colic aid if the baby cries a lot and does not calm down after breastfeeding. What do you suggest?

#

• It is one of the common complaints from the parents. Such levels of bilirubin are normal in the initial months of life. There is nothing to worry about it.
  • The sleep pattern that you described is perfectly normal. Usually, babies cry continuously for a while and then go to sleep.
  • Colic aid (Simethicone) can be used but not too frequently. If persistent inconsolable cry is seen, consult your baby's doctor for further evaluation.

Thank you. Have a nice day.

For further queries consult a paediatrician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|