Q. I have numbness in my left legs for the past four days. Kindly help.

Dr. Gursimran

I have had numbness in my left leg for four days now. I am a mild BP patient (my today reading 124/84). My fasting blood sugar is 6.3 mmol/l. I did a lipid profile test, and my cholesterol as of yesterday was 210 mg/dl. Please advise.

I am currently on Amlodipine 10 mg for my mild BP.

#

Sorry to know regarding your symptoms. Numbness of one leg occurs because of a peripheral nerve issue or a spinal nerve issue. The sugar report (HbA1c) is normal. Is there numbness on the backside of the left leg or the front side, and is it radiating? Is there any pain associated? Please take Vitamin B 12 supplement once daily. Do you have access to an NCV (nerve conduction velocity) test?

For numbness, you have to take Pregabalin 75 mg once daily at night (after NCV).

The numbness is on the front side of the leg and foot. Yes, there is mild radiation. It seems the numbness is extending to my waist and upper body parts. No pain is associated with it. I have no access to an NCV test. I feel I should take the Vitamin B12 and Pregabalin 75 mg as it might be a peripheral nerve issue. What is the dosage of the Vitamin B12 supplement daily? Please comment on my lipid profile test.

#

If there is radiation, it could be a sciatic nerve issue. But looking on the other side, if it is extending to upper body parts, it is a little odd because one peripheral nerve (sciatic in this case) will extend from the lower back till the leg, and it is rare to have multiple nerves involved. So if upper body parts are involved, I will need a little more detail regarding that. Will you get Pregabalin because it is the only available prescription drug from a physician. Vitamin B 12 dosage will be 1500 mcg (micrograms). Total cholesterol is a little high, which needs weight reduction and diet management and will not require any drug at present because it is just borderline. And if you reduce around 3-5 kg in two months with an excellent physical exercise regimen and diet therapy.

|