Q. What are the health benefits and nutrition facts of Palmyra (aka Nungu) Fruit?

Dr. Suneetha B S
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 28, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

What are the health benefits and nutrition facts of Palmyra fruit Nungu Fruit)?

#

First of all I would like to thank you for asking such a good question.

• The Asian Palmyra palm or Sugar palm tree is full of healthy stuff. The health benefits of the fruit areas follows.
  • It is a natural coolant for the body. It is known to contain Vitamins A, B-complex and C.
  • It is known to contain essential minerals like zinc, potassium, iron and calcium. Also known to have anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties.
  • Has been used in the treatment of nausea and vomiting and also worm infestation.
  • Has also been used as an expectorant and as a laxative.
  • The sap is used as a tonic, laxative, for treating ulcers and liver problems.
  • The pulp of the fruit is known to cure a number of inflammatory conditions of the skin.

For further information consult a nutritionist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nutritionist

Thanks for your answer. Can you give a little more details about the toddy, a sugary sap, derived from the tree?

#

• The sap is best when taken fresh. After sometime, it gets fermented and becomes a mild alcoholic beverage.
  • The health benefits of the sap are,
  1. It is a low-fat, highly nutritive food contains protein, carbohydrate, vitamins and minerals.
  2. It acts as a natural coolant and good appetizer. 
  3. It helps improve digestion and cures digestive problems.
  4. It is known to improve anemia.

|