Q. What are the health benefits and nutrition facts of Palmyra (aka Nungu) Fruit?

Dr. Suneetha B S
Published on Nov 28, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

What are the health benefits and nutrition facts of Palmyra fruit Nungu Fruit)?

Dr. Suneetha B S

Diabetology Microbiology Nutritionist
#

First of all I would like to thank you for asking such a good question.

• The Asian Palmyra palm or Sugar palm tree is full of healthy stuff. The health benefits of the fruit areas follows.
  • It is a natural coolant for the body. It is known to contain Vitamins A, B-complex and C.
  • It is known to contain essential minerals like zinc, potassium, iron and calcium. Also known to have anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties.
  • Has been used in the treatment of nausea and vomiting and also worm infestation.
  • Has also been used as an expectorant and as a laxative.
  • The sap is used as a tonic, laxative, for treating ulcers and liver problems.
  • The pulp of the fruit is known to cure a number of inflammatory conditions of the skin.

For further information consult a nutritionist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nutritionist

Thanks for your answer. Can you give a little more details about the toddy, a sugary sap, derived from the tree?

Dr. Suneetha B S

Diabetology Microbiology Nutritionist
#

• The sap is best when taken fresh. After sometime, it gets fermented and becomes a mild alcoholic beverage.
  • The health benefits of the sap are,
  1. It is a low-fat, highly nutritive food contains protein, carbohydrate, vitamins and minerals.
  2. It acts as a natural coolant and good appetizer. 
  3. It helps improve digestion and cures digestive problems.
  4. It is known to improve anemia.

What can be done for chronic digestive problem?

Query: Hello doctor, My height is 173 cm, weight 75 kg. I have a chronic digestive problem for 10 years. I have taken allopathy, Ayurveda and homeopathy but no successful result. Please advise me.  Read Full >>

Dr. Ella Maponya
General Practitioner, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Chronic digestive disorders which are common include irritable bowel syndrome, stomach ulcers, gastroesophageal reflux disease, cancer, infections, gallstones. The symptoms of digestive problems include diarrhea, stomach cramps, bloating, gas, stomach pain, vomiting, bl...  Read Full

Ask a Nutritionist Now