Q. I have a habit of focusing and overthinking about everything around me. How to get rid of this?

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi

I am a student, and I have this weird behavior of processing everything around me. It has made me so lonely because when I am around people, I have to pretend to laugh at a joke and blend in while deep inside, my mind keeps processing what other people's mind are thinking of, what their lives look like, what they eat, who their friends are. When something happens, people focus on the outcome, but my mind keeps focusing on the reasons and the explanations behind others' actions. Please help me. I want all this to go. I want my mind to be free and ignorant of what is around me. I cannot do this anymore, and I am tired of hiding to avoid the crowd, people, things, and harmful occurrences. Please help.

#

Thank you for your query. I can understand your situation. You may have obsessive thought disorder. There is non-pharmacological management for it. You can try following the below guidelines to deal with it. It will help you.

1. You can exercise daily for 30 to 45 minutes, like at least a walk.
  2. You can do meditation for 20 minutes daily. Sit in a comfortable position and try to concentrate your normal breathing, do not force yourself to stop the thoughts. Let it be.
  3. Eat healthy home-cooked foods, avoid junk foods.
  4. Drink enough water.
  5. Spend quality time with friends and family daily or do video calls if you live away from your family.
  6. Spend your time on creative hobbies like reading good books, writing journals, painting, drawing, learning new skills or language or musical instruments.
  7. Make sure you get seven to eight hours of sleep daily.
  8. Avoid tobacco, alcohol, or any substance abuse.
  9. Live your life, do not just spend it.
  10. Be bold and confident.

If you still have symptoms that persist after following the advice for four to six weeks, you need to start medications for a short duration. I hope that you got your answer. Please, let me know if you want some help.

|