Q. I am currently having obsessive thoughts and find it hard to control them. Please help.

Dr. Awadhesh P Singh Solanki
This is a premium question & answer published on May 14, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 25, 2020

Hi. I am 20 years old, and a student. I am currently having obsessive thoughts and I find it hard to control the thoughts. I have fears and getting anxious that something might happen to me yet, I am trying to convince myself to not to. But then again, i've been seeking for help from psychiatrists that offer free consultations because, as I said I am just a student wanting to know more about my condition. I hope someone could help me.

I have ear problems and mitral valve prolapse. I for now, have medical prescriptions for mitral valve prolapse and haven't checked up for this ear problems of mine. I am currently taking Propanolol.

#

hello,

I can understand that you are suffering from obsessive compulsive disorder and having distressing obsessive thoughts. OCD is quite resistant illness which involve serotonin a kind of chemical in the brain. we generally prescribe antidepressants to increase level of serotonin in the brain. antidepressant require in higher amount because you know oCD symptoms are very resistant more than depression. there is also a talk therapy which is called as exposure and response prevention it's a kind of cognitive behaviour therapy . I would suggest you to visit your psychiatrist again and ask for this talk therapy. this will definitely help you

hope my answer help you thank you kind regards feel free to ask further

| 

Can psychotherapy treat OCD?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from OCD (Obsessive–compulsive disorder). How can it be treated by psychotherapy?  Read Full »

Can my OCD get cured with lower dose of medicine?

Query: Hi doctor, I have brain lesion in the left temporal lobe size 0.9 mm as found in brain MRI. I had seizure twice two years ago. I am also suffering from OCD. Fluoxetine 40 mg has been very effective in treating OCD, but caused memory problem, speech problem and lack of concentration. When can I lower...  Read Full »