Q. Is there any side effect in ovary donation?

Published on Apr 01, 2016

I am unmarried and 32 years old. I am having PCOD. One of my friends suggested me recently to donate eggs. I would like to ask is there any sort of side effects to my ovary. Will the hormone injections cause some side effects to my body? Or any damage to my pelvic organs? Will it affect my menses or in getting pregnant in future? Please help me.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• I think your concern here is oocyte harvesting where you can freeze your eggs for future use.
  • Donate eggs means that you would like to give your eggs to a bank for being used by any other women who has been suffering from infertility if needed.
  • As you are a case of PCOD (polycystic ovarian disease), it is a good decision at 32 years to preserve good quality eggs for future use after marriage or whenever you intend to conceive.
  • The ovulation induction would be required to be done in your case and FSH injections (follicle stimulating hormone) with hCG injection (human chorionic gonadotropin) would be given by mid cycle for harvesting the ovum which can then be freezed in dedicated centers.
  • All these hormones are natural and safe. They do not have any side effects on ovaries when used under controlled ovarian stimulation protocols.
  • Regarding your menses, they are already oligomenorrheic due to PCOD and hence no particular effect would be occurring on cycle due to oocyte harvesting.
  • It is a good option to avoid any congenital anomalies on fetus in future as with age quality of eggs decreases and chances of trisomies in children increases post fertilization. So, go ahead with it without any fear.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

I also have a family history of breast cancer. My father's sister had it. I would like to ask if I donate my eggs only once will it be risky? Will it have the chances of breast or ovarian cancer if I do one for the other day and then for myself. Please guide. I just want to know about its long-term consequences as I am afraid of breast and ovarian cancer. Right now I am in the confusion that I have read testimonials of ladies and I am shocked that fertility clinic says there is minimal risk. In one of the testimonial it was written after 5 years of donation she was detected with stage 4 cancer. And many oncologist say that most of the breast cancer is due to hormones given during egg donation as gonadotropin contain FSH and LSH which get converted to estrogen . I have very little time and have no money for the above test which you told to do for breast. I have already taken two injections in two days and after reading testimonial from peoples I withdraw my idea to continue further. I am deciding to return all the injections back to the doctor as I live alone and deprived of money and in future if something happens I cannot afford the treatment. Thanks.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• As I think I have told you earlier, a single cycle of ovulation induction for egg donation and then possibly in future for yourself would not increase your chances of breast or ovarian cancer.
  • Because, the heredity for a woman is decided from her maternal background and not from the father's. So your father's sister had it and not your mother or maternal grandmother. Then there are very minimal chances that you should get it in future.
  • You can safely go ahead with ovary donation if you wish without fear.
  • Also PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) is a disease which can be controlled and many women had natural conception without hormones. So, whenever you decide to get pregnant yourself, conservative management of treatment can always be considered.
  • I am slightly confused here if you were planning egg donation for yourself for future use or for making money.
  • If you were intending for money making then yes several FSH injections during one cycle is acceptable. But, if you are into a practice each month then they may increase your risk though the fact has not been substantiated well nor any studies are present to support it.
  • Yes, isolated cases have been reported after 5 years in different countries. So, the choice remains yours and if you intend to donate and make money then it is not a wise idea for you.

I got period in mid follicle stimulation cycle. Is it fine?

Query: Hi doctor, I was going through follicle stimulation. My doctor started with Siphene 100 mg for five days, moved to FSH injections 75 for five days and when there was not enough growth in follicles she asked me to inject Humog 75 for two days. However, I got my periods the day I took the first Humog...  Read Full »

Can PCOS cause irregular periods?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 28 year old unmarried woman. Last month my period was irregular. I got my periods on the 30th of last month and it was already 20 days later from the actual due. Initially, I had spotting for five days, then I bled for seven days and again, had spotting for three days. Now, I am bl...  Read Full »

Can ovarian stimulation for IVF be started on the fifth day of menstruation?

Query: Hello doctor, I would like to know if the ovarian stimulation for IVF can be started on the fifth day of the menstruation or is it too late? My doctor said I should start the medication for ovarian stimulation on the fifth day of the menstruation because of her schedule but normally I used to start...  Read Full »