Q. Are jaw correction surgery safe?

Dr. Krishna Swaroop Achanta

I have a few questions about my potential jaw surgery. My upper jaw is smaller than usual as I was born prematurely and it gives my face a caved-in look along with some joint pain on the right side of my face. I get pain randomly on the right jaw and the jaw gets fatigued while chewing food. I often get headaches, I am not sure whether it is because of jaw trouble. I have trouble falling asleep every night. I bite deep into the gums of lower teeth because of the small upper jaw. I also suffer from slight lisping and take a lot of time pronouncing certain words.

I had taken only orthodontic X-rays of my jaws.

#

I can understand your concern about the caved-in look of the upper jaw. Orthognathic surgery is a totally safe option and you can go ahead with it. I suggest you get a cephalometric analysis in detail so that your maxillofacial surgeon and orthodontist (braces specialist) can together discuss your case of the retrograde maxilla.

The aim would be to not only correct the deformity you have but also to bring the teeth into proper occlusion or bite. Your vertical dimension will be corrected and you will be given instructions after the orthognathic surgery on how to cope up. Orthodontic treatment can be started based on your choice of ceramic or Invisalign braces to rectify the alignment of the whole jaw post-surgery. I suggest you go ahead with cephalometric analysis and give the reports to your dental surgeon to proceed with the orthognathic surgery. Your speech and jaw dimensions will definitely be corrected this way.

Any doubts you can follow me up here about the surgery or any other issues.

|