Q. Please give some advise to regain the strength of my knees.

Dr. Srikanth Nara
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 26, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 11, 2020

I am 18 years old. I have a little problem that effects my daily hobbies. I play basketball and play in such a way that I am constantly running and jumping at maximum effort each time. When I was a little bit younger, I had a pretty bad case of Osgood-Schlatter disease. It was from constant running and jumping because I have always wanted to jump high ever since I was like 8. Now the problem is, I cannot jump and run without starting to hurt or mainly feeling very low on explosiveness. I stretch very well and I exercise my legs very often. I just wanted to know if there was any advice to regaining the strength back in my knees.

#

• From the description, your symptoms are as similar to Osgood-Schlatter disease.
  • This problem is usually seen in the active adolescent age group, mostly affected region are the places where your tendons and bone come together. In your case, the growing tibial tuberosity and the patellar tendon.
  • It is a self-limiting problem. In most of the cases, when the growth plate gets fused the pain will reduce that is after the completion of the adolescent period.
  • The treatment in case of acute pain use the cold packs and analgesics with rest.
  • Once your pain is completely reduced, then slowly start on strengthening exercises such as the quadriceps and hamstring strengthening exercises. With the help of these exercises you can regain your strength back in your knees.

Strenuous activities.

X-ray would be helpful if not improved with conservative management.

Infrapatellar bursitis.

Avoid jumping and running when acute pain is present.

Revert back after two weeks to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|