Q. My 6-year-old son complains of shin pain in left foot. Why does he get such pain?

Dr. Sumeet Sharma
This is a premium question & answer published on May 26, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 06, 2020

I have a 6-year-old son who complains of shin pain in the left foot once in every month before going to sleep. He is generally hyperactive. The next day when he wakes up he tells me that it does not hurt anymore. We did x-rays and blood tests all are fine. Please help.

#

Welcome to iclinq.com.

Lower limb pains in growing children are usually benign. Normal blood tests and normal x-ray reports also point towards the benign nature of pain. Most probably your child is having growing pains.

Can you please recall anything that is common before the pain starts like excessive physical activity or specific footwear? Please share the x-ray image and blood test reports.

Start calcium supplements and regularly massage the legs before bedtime.

Thank you doctor.

Is it necessary to do a blood test again? He did that test last September. I will send you the results and x-rays.

#

I have seen the x-ray and blood investigation reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). But the test reports were not in English. I could understand only a few reports. I need to see the following reports.

1. Serum calcium levels.

2. Serum phosphate levels.

3. Alkaline phosphatase levels.

4. Serum vitamin D levels.

If these tests are already done then no need to repeat the tests. Just translate the report in English.

His calcium level - 9.56,

Phosphate - 5.66.

Alkaline phosphate - 160.

Vitamin D - 37.66.

#

The investigation reports are normal. Do not worry. Most probably your child has growing pains. As long as your child is developmentally and physically normal, is gaining weight and the pain is not interfering with his daily routine no active intervention needs to do done. Just massage the legs daily before bedtime.

You did not answer my question regarding any common thing that you observed before pain like whether the pain starts after wearing specific footwear or the pain occurs on the days of excessive physical activity.

He gets pain sometimes when he jumps a lot, or when he runs in school. But generally, he is a hyperactive child and I bought him sports shoes for running.

#

Running and jumping around is absolutely normal. No need to worry. Just start giving him some calcium supplements (like Osteocalium or Calcium Sandoz) and continue leg massage before bed time.

|