Q. Will irregular paleo diet result in low vitamin D and B12 levels?

Dr. Vivek Pillai

This is for my husband. On Saturday, he had a master health check-up and a few values are not good. I would like to hear your opinion on those. He is 35 years old. His weight is 71.9 kg and height is 168 cm.

The abnormal values are as follows:

1) Serum globulin 4.2 gm/dl - High (normal range 2-3.5).

2) T4 - 11.46 ug/ml - High (normal 4.6 - 10.5) whereas T3 and TSH are normal.

3) Vitamin D - 9.65 (low).

4) Serum HDL 34.9 (low) other triglycerides and LDL values are normal.

5) Vitamin B12 - 144 (low) (normal 180-914).

Also, I attached his ECG where it was mentioned unconfirmed report. Please check and let me know the outcome of the report.

He is an athlete who is active in a cycling race, running and swimming. But, he was out of the sport for one year and hence gained weight around 75 kg from 68 kg. Now, again he reduced 4 kg in the last three months. But he is following bad diet plans such as paleo one week, intermittent for the next week, proper balanced normal food for one week. Hence, I am really worried about his health.

Dr. Vivek Pillai

Cardiology
#

I feel his low vitamin B12 levels may be linked to his paleo diet, which can be deficient in legumes, nuts (which are beneficial for the heart). He need not be so fastidious about the diet, I feel and vitamin B12 can be got from dairy products, eggs, fish, and chicken.

His low Vitmain D levels are almost very prevalent in Indians, and basically this can be rectified by more outdoor activity, and if need 60,000 units of D-rise once per week for six weeks.

His HDL levels are low and although his LDL (bad cholesterol levels) are also low, I would recommend daily exercise (half an hour daily) to boost HDL levels.

His isolated High T4 levels, mean you need to check for a thyroid goiter and possibly do a thyroid scan, but it could also be linked to high globulin levels. Isolated high globulins need work up too, possibly disorders of immunity or rare disease like multiple myeloma (possibly consult a hematologist).

| 

Please comment on his low HDL and ECG.

Dr. Vivek Pillai

Cardiology
#

His ECG is normal (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I already mentioned exercise as a method of increasing HDL even Niacin tablets are used, but I have no experience with them.

| 

What can be done for low vitamin D, B12 and iron levels?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother got full body check up. Please check the report and guide us. Her vitamin D, B12, iron are less and it is showing alert in blood test. She has weakness, body swelling in summer, pain in leg, and tiredness.  Read Full »

Can vitamin B12 deficiency cause anxiety?

Query: Hello doctor, My best friend has been suffering lately from deficiency of vitamin B12. Our doctor informed us that he suffers from depression and anxiety because of vitamin deficiency. Is it possible? His dad died when he was 10, so I observed that he takes it so seriously when he feels that he is n...  Read Full »

I'm on Paleo diet. Do I need to panic regarding my blood report?

Query: Hi doctor, I am on paleo diet for the past 20 days and took the blood test today. My result reported elevated triglyceride from 109 to 150 and homocysteine levels of 32. I have attached the report for your reference. Do I need to panic?  Read Full »