Q. Does mild LVH cause sudden palpitation and dizziness?

Dr. Malay Shukla
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 05, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 10, 2019

I am a 26-year-old male. I am doing regular exercises, but one day at night I got sudden palpitations, dizziness feeling, high bp, so I went to the emergency room my ECG was regular, sinus tachycardia after that few tests were also done. Lipid profile was normal with no diabetes, and no cholesterol, TMT was negative, but in ECHO it was showing mild LVH, but my doctor said my heart is fine no problem with it. He said it was due to anxiety. So I want to ask is mild LVH a problem. I get anxious because of my heart health.

#

I believe by regular exercise, you mean that you are involved in some muscle-building activities and some aerobic exercises. The symptoms you described were sudden onset palpitations associated with dizziness continuously, and by the time you reached ER, the palpitations were settled. Is that correct? Next, you had a normal ECG (done when symptoms subsided) and normal TMT. Although this is reassuring but does not entirely rule out disease. Now, your Echo revealed mild LVH. My assessment will be following diagnoses based on some assumptions above in order of likelihood,

1. Normal - Although I have not seen the echo films or it the report but assuming it is mild concentric LVH, this can be found in athletes and is nothing to be worried about. This is the most likely possibility so you can rest assured.

2. Supraventricular tachycardia which subsided by the time you reached the ER and only fast heart rate was present due to anxiety. Less likely possibility but not a condition to be worried about now as this condition is usually intermittent and not at all dangerous. It is diagnosed often when ECG did while symptoms are happening. If you had symptoms when ECG was done, this is even less likely.

3. Ventricular tachycardia in a structurally normal heart, very less likely. This also is a benign condition in a normal heart.

So, in a nutshell, your doctor was correct. Most likely this is nothing but regular sinus tachycardia.

Kindly follow these things,

1. Rest assured.

2. Continue with your regular exercise.

3. Maintain a healthy lifestyle- no smoking, low carbohydrate diet, maintain body weight (BMI <25.5 kg/m2).

|