Q. Does mild LVH cause sudden palpitation and dizziness?

Dr. Malay Shukla
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Oct 05, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 10, 2019

I am a 26-year-old male. I am doing regular exercises, but one day at night I got sudden palpitations, dizziness feeling, high bp, so I went to the emergency room my ECG was regular, sinus tachycardia after that few tests were also done. Lipid profile was normal with no diabetes, and no cholesterol, TMT was negative, but in ECHO it was showing mild LVH, but my doctor said my heart is fine no problem with it. He said it was due to anxiety. So I want to ask is mild LVH a problem. I get anxious because of my heart health.

Dr. Malay Shukla

Cardiology
#

I believe by regular exercise, you mean that you are involved in some muscle-building activities and some aerobic exercises. The symptoms you described were sudden onset palpitations associated with dizziness continuously, and by the time you reached ER, the palpitations were settled. Is that correct? Next, you had a normal ECG (done when symptoms subsided) and normal TMT. Although this is reassuring but does not entirely rule out disease. Now, your Echo revealed mild LVH. My assessment will be following diagnoses based on some assumptions above in order of likelihood,

1. Normal - Although I have not seen the echo films or it the report but assuming it is mild concentric LVH, this can be found in athletes and is nothing to be worried about. This is the most likely possibility so you can rest assured.

2. Supraventricular tachycardia which subsided by the time you reached the ER and only fast heart rate was present due to anxiety. Less likely possibility but not a condition to be worried about now as this condition is usually intermittent and not at all dangerous. It is diagnosed often when ECG did while symptoms are happening. If you had symptoms when ECG was done, this is even less likely.

3. Ventricular tachycardia in a structurally normal heart, very less likely. This also is a benign condition in a normal heart.

So, in a nutshell, your doctor was correct. Most likely this is nothing but regular sinus tachycardia.

Kindly follow these things,

1. Rest assured.

2. Continue with your regular exercise.

3. Maintain a healthy lifestyle- no smoking, low carbohydrate diet, maintain body weight (BMI <25.5 kg/m2).

Why am I having dizziness and blackout with swollen throat?

Query: Hello doctor, For a couple of days now I have been ill and the symptoms are getting worse. First, it started off with a swollen throat (which I still have but is not as bad) which gives me a phlegm cough but has reduced. I constantly have dizziness and blackouts with pulsating sensations not only g...  Read Full >>

Dr. Geethu Thomas
Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on descriptive history, I come to the conclusion that it started off as a viral infection (a sore throat) and has progressed to a secondary bacterial infection which has manifested as a cough with phlegm and due to phlegm accumulation in your sinuses, you are experi...  Read Full

Why are palpitations occurring even after pacemaker implantation?

Query: Hello doctor,My 71-year-old father was admitted to the hospital for palpitation occurrence and fast heart beating at 143 beats per minute. He was feeling dizziness in the morning. He was given injections to reduce the heart rate and has taken Holter monitoring for one day. He had previously undergon...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ganesh P Sapkal

Answer: Hello, Welcome back to icliniq.com. I have gone through the report that you have provided. He is having the tachycardia-bradycardia syndrome. In this case, the pacemaker avoids his bradycardia episodes only. For his tachycardia episodes, drugs can be given. Sometimes the drug controls it perfectly...  Read Full

Severe heart palpitations in a 20-year-old man. What can be done?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 20-year-old healthy young man. I do not drink or smoke but I do work a lot. I work for 60 hours actually and just moved out of my house with my family. I got my own new place as well as trying to maintain a relationship with my current girlfriend. I do not really have any health...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). All the tests are fine. The cardiologist said your heart is normal. So, you do not have to worry. Tablet Metoprolol has been given for symptomatic relief for your palpitation. Probab...  Read Full