Q. Is it normal to have palpitations during pregnancy?

Dr. Vivek Pillai
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 05, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 12, 2020

I had a baby 9 months ago. Since I was 18 weeks pregnant, I had heart palpitations and high blood pressure. I do not have high blood pressure now, but I am still having palpitations, but not as frequent. It seems to be a hormone imbalance. I got them this month on the first day of my period and a couple other random times. Two weeks ago, I started getting swelling in my right hand only when I lie down or sleep. Also, I have had random itchy spots like hives just in random places.

#

The palpitations you are experiencing are mostly a normal phenomenon during pregnancy. It is known as sinus tachycardia.

Nevertheless, it is better to get an ECG done to reaffirm my suspicion.

The hives and skin issues are also could be due to the hormonal changes in pregnancy.

ECG if sinus tachycardia and then no need of any active intervention.

For further information consult a cardiologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|