Q. I have panic attacks, and the desire to kill myself is increasing day by day. Kindly help.

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

I do not feel like myself anymore. I think it started two months ago, but it is getting worse more and more day by day. I do not know what I am feeling. A few days ago, I got a panic attack at my workplace. Lucky for me, there is a doctor in my workplace, and diagnose me to have hyperventilation. The thing is, I do not know where that is coming from these past few months. I did not feel like myself. I feel sad and down most of the time. I cannot seem to fall asleep, and if I fall asleep, I sleep for a long time. Sometimes I do not have an appetizer to eat. My heartbeat faster daily, and I also found my body always shaking. I cannot seem to think properly, and often there is a lack of concentration. My friends sometimes say I am an attention seeker When I myself did not know what happen to me. I sometimes wonder if there is any way to kill myself. Every day I woke up, I got no motivation to do anything. And I still find myself exhausted, and I feel Iike I cannot control my feeling anymore. I know this was not me, and I need help. I do not know where to go anymore. Day by day, the desire to kill me is stronger and stronger. I am afraid I will lose to that desire. Please help me, is there anything I can do to heal myself?

#

I can understand your situation. you may have a major depressive disorder. There is non-pharmacological management for depression.

it would help if you tried to follow the below guidelines to deal with it:

1) You should do exercises daily for 30 to 45 minutes, like going for a walk.

2) You should do meditation for 20 minutes daily. Just sit in one place in a comfortable position and try to concentrate on your normal breathing, do not stop or force yourself to control your thoughts. Just let it be.

3) You should eat healthy home-cooked foods, avoid junk foods.

4) You must drink enough water.

5) You should spend quality time with friends and family daily or do video calls if you live away from your family.

6) You should spend time on creative hobbies like reading good books, writing journals, painting, drawing, learning new skills or language or musical instruments.

7) You should take enough seven to eight hours of sleep daily.

8) You must avoid tobacco or alcohol or any substance abuse.

9) Live your life, do not just spend it.

10) Be bold and confident.

If you still have symptoms that persist after following the advice for four to six weeks, then you need to start medications for a short duration. I hope this was helpful. Please let me know if you want some help.

|