Q. Does biopsy on a pregnant woman result in any complication?

Dr. Radhakrishnan Nair B
Published on Jul 17, 2016

I am 30 years old and 20 weeks pregnant. I got an abnormal pap result with ASC-H. I had another pap two years ago and it was normal. My doctor wants to do a colposcopy and biopsy. However, I read that it does result in complication when biopsy is performed on a pregnant woman. Can I do biopsy later? Will colposcopy show how bad the lesions are? Please explain.

Dr. Radhakrishnan Nair B

Obstetrics And Gynaecology Sexology
#

I can understand your situation and concern.

• You have to undergo colposcopy and if necessary biopsy too. It can be done during pregnancy and the only problem may happen is mild bleeding, which can be managed.
  • If the lesion is mild, then it can be followed up. Moderate to severe lesion also can be followed up till delivery and that has to be finalized after the colposcopy and biopsy.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

I had HPV and LEEP 12 years ago. Are my current symptoms due to cancer?

Query: Dear doctor, I am a 32 year old female. I had HPV and LEEP 12 years ago. Now, I have the following symptoms: Bleeding during sex. Heavy periods. Extra painful abdomen pain. Heavy feeling of fatigue and headaches. Could I have cancer?  Read Full »

Why do I have knee pain after wearing high heels?

Query: Hi doctor, I have pain in my knees and around the ankles, since the last two weeks. It all started when I walked around in high-heeled shoes one day. After that, I got my periods and the pain got aggravated. The pain has decreased, but is still quite bad. Also, I recently went to get a Pap test done...  Read Full »

Why do I have light pink colored discharge?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a light pink colored discharge for almost three weeks. Usually, it will go off, but this time it has not gone. I am expecting menstrual cycle for two weeks. My color is generally brown before and after my period. My PAP test was fine. I always use condoms on and off with my partn...  Read Full »