Q. Is it safe to take Paracetamol during pregnancy?

Published on Mar 17, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 20, 2018

My wife is suffering from fever and headache with common cold. Actually, we are trying for our second baby this time. Her date is expected after two days. We went to our local doctor and he prescribed Paracetamol and one another small tablet. Is it safe taking these medicines during this time? Kindly guide us.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

If both of you are trying to conceive, then for common cold you may opt for conservative management with Paracetamol tablets for fever and saline warm water gargling thrice a day and steam inhalation twice a day. Also increase her water intake to 12-15 glasses a day, this shall help recover sooner.Paracetamol is safe for pregnancy and is free from any congenital side effects even if you conceive.

Secondly, if the fever is not controlled and the cough worsens and sputum becomes yellow, then she can be given a three day course of capsule Azithromycin 500 mg once a day. It is also safe in early pregnancy though should be used restrictively. I believe the other small tablet prescribed to you may be tablet Cetirizine 5 mg twice a day, which is an antihistamine. It can be taken, but not for more than three days.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

I have headache after using Nevanac ophthalmic suspension

Query: Hello doctor, I am 37 years old. I have discomfort and mild pain in the right eye since last four days. The doctor has advised taking Nevanac ophthalmic suspension 0.1 suspension, and Maxmoist eye drops for dry eye. He has advised to take Nevanac one drop four times daily in both eyes, and Maxmoist ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Rahul Vaswani
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. No, Nevanac (Nepafenac) does not have such side effects. But, I suggest you reduce the frequency of Nevanac to twice daily after 15 days and then to once at bedtime after next 15 days. You said you are wearing -2.75 in the right and -3.75 in left. This is a spherica...  Read Full

Pregnancy test had two mildly visible lines, but it is now negative.

Query: Hello doctor, I had unprotected sex six weeks ago and my period was late for two weeks. I used the first PT when my period was five days late and it has two lines but it is not that visible. After three days, I tried again and it is already negative. Up to the two-weeks late period, all PT are negat...  Read Full >>

Dr. Natalie Chaitan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. An initially positive pregnancy test that later becomes negative can happen with very early miscarriages. Such miscarriages can occur with little or no initial blood loss. These are termed chemical pregnancies, as they are lost before they attach to the womb and before...  Read Full

Does the blood pressure medication could cause headaches?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 50 year old female. I have aches in my limbs and thighs especially at night. It is often characterized by heaviness in limbs. I am getting headache chiefly in left side of the head. I am taking painkiller at least once in a week for the same. I am taking Newtel 40 mg for blood pres...  Read Full >>

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First tell me in detail about your headache to help you in better way. What is the quality of your headache? Is it either pulsatile which means tis-tis or squeezing or aching? Do you have any associated symptoms like nausea, vomiting, facial swelling, difficulty ...  Read Full