Q. I have orthostatic hypotension and REM sleep disorder. Am I destined for Parkinson's disease?

Dr. Aida Abaz Quka
and medically reviewed by Dr. Chithranjali Ravichandran

What are orthostatic hypotension and REM sleep disorder, and how is it related to Parkinson's disease. How common do a combination of the two results in Parkinson's disease? I have afib. I also had an ablation a month ago. I have low blood pressure on standing and after running upstairs. But cardio is fairly good as I can ride a bike far and fast. Hiking causes funny vision and some dizziness when doing hills or inclines. I have had a few dreams where I have yelled out or moved a bit. Is it a REM sleep disorder? I am afraid these two mean I am destined for Parkinson’s disease.

Kindly help.

#

I understand your concern.

Orthostatic hypotension is a common complication of the advanced stage of Parkinson's disease. The drop in blood pressure while standing up is suggestive of orthostatic hypotension.

REM sleep disorder is another common complication of Parkinson's disease, and it may be diagnosed in the early stages of Parkinson's disease. I recommend doing a polysomnogram (sleep study) to investigate possible REM sleep disorder and a head-up tilt test for orthostatic hypotension.

I suggest you take the tablet Clonazepam for the sleep disorder. Regarding orthostatic hypotension, I advise taking plenty of fluids and wearing compressive socks can help too.

I remain at your disposal for any further questions whenever you need me.

Kind regards.

Orthostatic hypotension, REM sleep disorder, Parkinsons disease.

Thanks for your reply.

I do not have Parkinson's disease but I am scared of getting it. Does having REM sleep disorder mean I will get it soon? Does a drop in systolic blood pressure of 10 to 20 mmHg is orthostatic hypotension? Do a drop in blood pressure from 140/90 mmHg to 110/80 mmHg is considered a normal and healthy blood pressure or is it a hypotension?

Kindly help.

#

There is no reason to panic about Parkinson's disease, as orthostatic hypotension does not lead to this disease. Instead, this is a late complication of the disease, after many years since the diagnosis. There is nothing to worry about. This blood pressure drop is suggestive of orthostatic hypotension. I would recommend checking CBC (complete blood count) for anemia, blood electrolytes for possible electrolytes imbalance, and thyroid hormone levels for possible thyroid gland dysfunction. These metabolic disorders can trigger orthostatic hypotension.

I hope you will find this information helpful.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask me again.

I wish you all the best.

|