Q. Which medication can be used to treat Parkinson's disease?

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy
Published on Nov 05, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 07, 2019

My mother is having parkinson disease for the past 8 years. She is taking Syndopa 275 mg 3/4 five times a day, but still she is not feeling good. Any alternative?

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

I understand your concern. Based on what stage of her disease she is in, there are quite a few alternatives available for parkinsonism. The first line of management is obviously the one that the doctor has given to you, Syndopa (a combination of Levodopa and Carbidopa). If this combination is not very effective then, a combination of Levodopa and a Dopamine agonist such as Bromocriptine, or Ropinirole, or Pramiprexole can be given. Even Selegiline, another mode of treatment drug, has showed a lot of efficacy in recent times. Since they are all prescription drugs, kindly get in touch with your physician and discuss the possibilities of switching her over to the medicines I mentioned.

| 

Apart from Levodopa, what other treatment options are there for Parkinsons's?

Query: Hi doctor, I feel extreme fatigue in the morning. I have tremor and right leg tingling. I am experiencing brain fog, Parkinson like symptoms but I did not feel any improvement with Levodopa. My manganese levels are high. Please help.  Read Full »

Is it possible to identify Parkinson's disease without any test?

Query: Hi doctor, I am writing this is for my father. He is 74 years old. Now, he was diagnosed to have Parkinson’s disease. The doctor just examined and said that this is Parkinson's. Is it possible to identify without going for any tests? Will Parkinson lead to death? Is coffee better for Parkinson’s...  Read Full »