Q. Is it common to gain weight and then lose weight with Metformin?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

I was told I have PCOS after a scan but after telling the doctors something was wrong as I kept gaining weight. I was put on Metformin but I started gaining even more weight so I stopped taking it.

My facial hair increased and I still had very slow weight loss. I then started taking it again and the weight loss has started again.

Is this common? I am on 500 mg once a day. I am currently 118 kg

#

I just read your query and from what you have mentioned it appears that you have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome). Yes, it is common to have weight loss with Metformin therapy and it is actually very good for you.

You see Metformin decreases insulin resistance which is very common in PCOS. Once insulin resistance decreases the body starts utilizing the available insulin made by the body and in turn, there is modest weight loss.

Now PCOS therefore, decreases, resultant hirsuitism decreases along with weight loss and the cycle continues so on and so forth.

In fact, you must take Metformin 500 mg thrice a day to see best results. To top it off if you combine brisk walk of 45 to 60 minutes daily and eat mostly fruits and vegetables and avoid sweet drinks and carbohydrate-rich and junk foods then you can achieve not only excellent control over PCOS but also lose a considerable amount of weight.

So yes it is common to lose weight with Metformin.

For more information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

|