Q. Is cervical mucus an important criteria for fertility?

Published on May 28, 2018

I am trying to conceive. I have very less cervical mucus. Am I infertile? Please help.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

My period would last for two days only. Spotting and then heavy bleeding on the first day heavy bleeding followed by a kind of light bleeding the next day. I have been trying to conceive and trying to check the ovulation by cervical mucus. But, I found my CM to be very less and at times I have dryness as well. My age is 31. Is there anything wrong medically? Do I need to worry? I have been trying to conceive for the past two months.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• The fact that you have been menstruating regularly each month indicates that you are ovulating on time mostly.
  • However, cervical mucus thinning by mid cycle is an obsolete method of confirming ovulation as one may experience cervicitis or vaginitis often and even stress itself can affect the consistency of cervical mucus.
  • The best way to track ovulation is with the help of ovulation kit. The test has to be started from day 10 of your cycle daily with early morning urine sample till a positive result is obtained.
  • The positive results indicate LH surge (sudden increase in luteinizing hormone) and in the next 36 to 48 hours you should be ovulating. Then, from the day you got a positive test, daily you must plan for frequent intercourse episodes to increase your chance of pregnancy.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Can I use lubricants while trying to conceive? Shall I use sperm friendly lubricant? Is it safe? Do I need to go for any medicine or food to increase cervical mucus?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• Lubricants should be avoided as they may act as a deterrent for sperms to travel in the natural medium, so they should be avoided ideally.
  • You should be starting yourself on tablet Folic acid 5 mg daily as preconception medication.
  • Stress should be avoided under any circumstances as it not only make menses irregular, but can affect the mucus consistency as well.

Should I avoid folic acid during MTHFR pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 5 weeks pregnant and I have MTHFR and PAI mutations. My doctor recommended me to take Folic acid. I read it should be avoided during MTHFR pregnancies. Along with that I am on Prozac and Euthyrox. What do you think? What should I do? Please help.  Read Full >>

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Truly speaking, MTHFR - methylene tetrahydrofolate reductase mutations are widely spread and all most one half of the population is having or carrying these mutations by different extent. By different extent, I mean to say, various levels of affection or involvement tha...  Read Full

Is it possible to have ovulation and period symptoms when on Depot?

Query: Hello doctor, My period started 12th of last month. I reviewed the Depo shot two days later. I had unprotected sex nine days later. He ejaculated in me several times. I thought I would be protected but I am also having symptoms of ovulation like high (hard) cervix with a sharp pain in my ovary, the...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Depot injection does not offer immediate protection and it is advised to maintain abstinence for at least three weeks post-injection before the hormonal balance is readjusted for the cycle. Also, intermenstrual bleeding in form of dark brown blood is a common side ef...  Read Full

According to scan, the fetus growth is lagging. Kindly clarify it.

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is three months pregnant, and the doctor is telling that the baby is lagging in growth for about one month. The fetus heartbeat is good as per ultrasound, but the fetal growth is less. My wife's weight also dropped from 57 to 55 kg and recently, she is having stomach ache and back...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The ultrasound report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) shows a baby of 9 weeks and 5 days. With the EDD and calculated date of conception, it is a case of delayed conception where the child is not lagging growth. It is likely that the mother had delayed...  Read Full