Q. Clomid is not supporting me to get pregnant for the second time. Why?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 26, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 28, 2020

I am suffering from irregular periods and PCOS for more than 10 years. I had to take Clomid and with HCG injection conceived my first baby three years back. Now I have been trying for my second baby with the help of Clomid. I took Clomid for six months, with no luck. This month my doctor had prescribed a combination of Clomid 50 mg (from day 5 to day 9, 10 tablets for five days) and Nolvadex 10 mg tablet (from day 2 to day 12, 20 tablets for 10 days). Going through the purpose of the tablet, I understand Nolvadex is for treating breast cancer. I am scared to take this tablet now as it also says that it may harm the fetus. Can you please enlighten me in this regard? Will it help wtih fertility? Please let me know the possibility of having a healthy baby by taking Nolvadex during TTC, will it affect the baby by any means?

#

Novaldex is Tamoxifen which is a selective estrogen receptor modulator. Yes, it is one of the most common drugs that is used for treating breast cancer patients and also certain birth defects are possible if you take this medication when you pregnant.

In your case, this medication is being used because you are resistant to Clomid with failed attempts at getting pregnant with Clomid treatment. This is being given in the phase of your menstrual cycle when even the egg formation has not happened and basically to help your egg or follicles formation so that you can conceive with the medications. So there is absolutely no harm taking this medication to get conceived.

Recently, few studies have shown improved ovulation rates with Tamoxifen in Clomifene resistant women. However, I would suggest you to please consult your fertility expert again before you start the course and be confident about your treatment and solve further queries regarding the same because trusting your treating doctor is important before you start any treatment.

|