Q. What is the grayish discoloration on the tip of my penis that causes pain and sensitivity?

Dr. Nagaraj Patil
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 21, 2021 and last reviewed on: Oct 23, 2021

I noticed a grayish discoloration on the tip of my penis. It is present for more than three weeks. It is painful and highly sensitive.

Kindly help.

#

I understand your concern. It looks like melanosis, which is nothing but the deposition of melanin pigment at one particular site. It may happen over the shaft, at the tip of the (glans) penis, over lips, or inside of the mouth. It is idiopathic. The majority of the time, it remains harmless with no consequences.

Also, note that it is not an STD (sexually transmitted disease) and not contagious. As I could figure out the little patches in the picture you sent (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity), I would suggest you consult a dermatologist in person for a detailed delineation of its border and to rule out the significant cause. It can be done by physically examining the patch under a magnifying glass and also scrape the lesion, and observe under the microscope.

Do you have similar patches elsewhere on your body? Do you have any other medical condition for which you are taking treatment? Please help me with the answers to suggest you accordingly.

Take care.

Thank you so much for the fast answer.

I have already scheduled an appointment with a dermatologist. I am a little worried about it since I have never seen this before. And I do not have any other medical condition.

Thank you again.

#

That is good to know.

Take care.

|