Q. Why do I have bumps or rashes on my penis that are itchy?

Dr. G.s.s. Sandeep
and medically reviewed by Dr. Chithranjali Ravichandran

There are rashes or bumps on my penis, and I am scared to go to the emergency room. The bumps are red, itchy, and look like lumps. Kindly help.

#

I saw your attached pictures (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). I would like to know the answers to the following questions:

1) Is there any history of sexual exposure?

2) How did it start initially?

We can have a few differential diagnoses that includes:

1. Candidial yeast infection.

2. Molluscum contagiosum.

3. Irritant contact dermatitis due to either latex condoms or frequently cleansing with excessive lather soaps.

You will require a physical examination for a few clues and an exact diagnosis.

Thanks for answering.

I am sexually active.

I am assuming that the bump and redness are due to my itching. I am not very sure of it.

Does it look like Herpes?

#

Herpes infection will have clear-cut tiny water-like vesicles with red, inflamed skin. Usually, there are either complaints of burning sensation or no symptoms at all.

In the pictures attached (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity), I can see red to skin-colored lesions randomly distributed on the dorsal side of the penis. It may not be Herpes also.

Still, for confirmation, I would suggest HSV (herpes simplex virus) 1 and 2, IgG (immunoglobulin G) and IgM (immunoglobulin M), TPHA (Treponema pallidum hemagglutination) tests, and complete urine examination for ruling out herpes, syphilis, and gonorrhea infections.

Use cleansers for a genital wash.

|