Q. What is the cause of pharyngeal discomfort and cough?

Dr. Manu Wilfred

I am 21 years old. I have been having pharyngeal discomfort in the last two years coughing more often than I used to do before but I somehow got used to it and I did not see a doctor. Also, I have discomfort when swallowing. I have never smoked in my life and have healthy habits. I also observed a weird white membrane. Is it alright or is this the cause? I have provided links to a photo and video.

#

From your history and video (attachment removed to protect patient identity), my diagnosis would be post nasal drip with chronic pharyngitis. The visualization of the mucus discharge in the throat with congestion in the pharynx points to this diagnosis. The usual causes of this condition are chronic sinusitis, nasal polyposis, gastroesophageal reflux disease, post viral flu, tumors in the nose and nasopharynx.

The initial treatment involves warm salt water gargles, decongestant nasal drops (Xylometazoline) three drops three times a day only for seven days, antibiotic (capsule Amoxycillin 500, if not allergic) twice a day (morning and evening). Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent.

If there is no relief with these treatments after seven days, kindly consult your doctor for a detailed examination and expert management.

Wish you good health.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|