HomeAnswersUrologyphimosisI think I have phimosis. Will it cause a problem during sex?

Will phimosis cause a problem during sexual intercourse?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At June 9, 2022
Reviewed AtOctober 11, 2023

Patient's Query

I think I have phimosis. I am unable to retract my foreskin completely. At maximum, while backing it up, I can only see the tip of a diameter of 0.78 to 1.18 inches. I can masturbate without any issue, slow or fast, no issue. I am just worried about my sexual intercourse. Will that lead to a problem during sexual intercourse?

Yes, that is phimosis, and treatment requires Hydrocortisone cream to be applied twice daily for six weeks. After two weeks, you can gradually start retraction and complete retraction until after six weeks. The cream's name is Betnovate (Betamethasone), and it is widely available in pharmacies over the counter. If that treatment fails, then circumcision is required.

Patient's Query

I do not want to undergo circumcision; if that cream fails, can I still have sex, or would it be a problem?

It will not be a problem if you have sex. But it is better to avoid it during the treatment atleast for two weeks.

Kind regards.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Samer Sameer Juma Ali Altawil
Dr. Samer Sameer Juma Ali Altawil

Urology

Community Banner Mobile

iCliniq's FREE Newsletters

Expert-backed health and wellness information, delivered to your email.

Subscribe iCliniq
By clicking Subscribe, I agree to the iCliniq Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of iCliniq subscriptions at any time.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Urology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy