Q. Can a pimple-like growth on my penis be wart?

Dr. Poonguzhali Liston
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 17, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 06, 2020

I have a pimple-like appearance on my penis right from the age of 14. I noticed it when I started masturbation. They have not disappeared. They tend to present on the edge of the foreskin at the penis tip. They vary in size. Some are big and some are small. I am not sure whether they disappear and a new one appears. I have not had any vaginal or anal sex with anyone.

My concern is, are they warts? Whether they transmit to my spouse after marriage? Is there any HPV vaccination available? My partner's age is 28 and she has not been vaccinated. We are about to be married and she is sexually inactive. Can we undergo vaccination now? How long will this vaccination will be effective? When will the cervix cancer tend to appear? Will it transmit to our child? Kindly clarify my queries.

Dr. Poonguzhali Liston

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

To answer your first question you have to give me more information. Is the lesion painful? Does the pimple-like structure have a reddish base? Have you ever seen it disappear? Is there any associated itching with it?

Genital warts are only transmitted by sexual contact. So if you have not had sexual contact the chances of it being herpes warts is very unlikely. If you are herpes positive this will transmit to your spouse via sexual contact. These lesions can be only diagnosed by examination, so I would strongly recommend to get yourself checked out by a doctor.

HPV vaccination is only recommended until the age of 25 years both in men and women. It is the most efficacy if gotten only within that time but FDA (food and drug administration) has now approved optional vaccination with Gardasil or Cervarix (names of vaccine) in women up to the age of 45 years. There is no added benefits. This vaccination is done once in the lifetime and no additional boosters required.

Cervical cancer has a bimodal peak it can occur in women in the reproductive age group from 25-45 years or on the older age group from 65-75 years. Cervical cancer does not occur in everyone. It has various risk factors like multiple sexual partners, high-risk lifestyle like smoking, alcoholism, nulliparity, and multiple infections.

Virus which causes warts is the HSV (herpes simplex virus) and this can be transferred from mother to child.

|