Q. USG at 16 weeks showed separation of amnion and chorion. What to do?

Dr. Sweta Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 28, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 11, 2020

My wife is pregnant now. Her first pregnancy was completely normal. Now, at 13 weeks she had major bleeding and that took us to the ER. US showed movement and heartbeat.  Since then, she has continued to bleed with dark brown clots and occasional red blood. She had 16 week US and it showed that there is a separation of amnion and chorion. Also, there is a large floating pocket probable hematoma. This is worrying me. Now, she has fever and severe lower back pain. What to do?

Dr. Sweta Singh

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

First, let me say that I am sorry for your wife's trouble in this pregnancy.

• It appears as if there is a placental separation and there is a chance that your wife may miscarry. Lower back ache and continuous bleeding are not very good signs of a normal pregnancy, unfortunately.
  • Nevertheless, you are on the right and only track of treatment. She needs complete bed rest. Progesterone treatment is also appropriate.
  • It will be in her best interest to be admitted in a hospital, preferably a tertiary care center where she can be monitored stringently and help will be at hand so you will be prepared in case of an emergency.
  • I am very sorry as you are in this situation. The only hope I can offer you is that do your best to stay positive and take care of your wife.
  • I gather you are both young and this is a normally conceived pregnancy. You can plan future pregnancy easily.
  • While your situation is far from ideal, I assure you, better things will happen in the future if you stick it out and tough it out during these hard time.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|