Q. Unable to sleep as well as breathing problem in a 86 year old. Why?

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 27, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 23, 2019

My grandmother is 86 years old. She is having cold since last 10 days that gets controlled with medicines. But, in the last 4 days she has breathing problem and also she is unable to sleep well. She has given blood for testing. Please help.

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

Thanks for writing to this platform.

As you said, your grandmother initially had cold and is now suffering from breathing difficulty. It is advised to shift her to any nearby hospital and do a chest x-ray to rule out any infective cause. And also to rule out any underlying obstructive lung disease that could be present.

At this age, it is very common to have pneumonia or obstructive lung disease or any other lung disease which causes breathing problems. But, we can make a final diagnosis only after a chest x-ray and some blood tests. Once the diagnosis is made after checking the x-ray, definitive treatment can be started. It is also important to monitor her blood oxygen levels in hospital. Everything can be done easily once she goes to hospital.

|