Q. Unable to sleep as well as breathing problem in a 86 year old. Why?

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan
Published on Feb 27, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 23, 2019

My grandmother is 86 years old. She is having cold since last 10 days that gets controlled with medicines. But, in the last 4 days she has breathing problem and also she is unable to sleep well. She has given blood for testing. Please help.

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

Thanks for writing to this platform.

As you said, your grandmother initially had cold and is now suffering from breathing difficulty. It is advised to shift her to any nearby hospital and do a chest x-ray to rule out any infective cause. And also to rule out any underlying obstructive lung disease that could be present.

At this age, it is very common to have pneumonia or obstructive lung disease or any other lung disease which causes breathing problems. But, we can make a final diagnosis only after a chest x-ray and some blood tests. Once the diagnosis is made after checking the x-ray, definitive treatment can be started. It is also important to monitor her blood oxygen levels in hospital. Everything can be done easily once she goes to hospital.

| 

Can't Sleep? Finding it Really Difficult? Then You Must Read This.

Article Overview: This article speaks about issues related to sleeping problems and its management Read Article

Dr. Ajinkya B Bhandari
Sleep Medicine Physician

Insomnia means in short, "disease of sleep". When you have difficulty to initiate sleep, difficulty in maintaining sleep, or getting unsatisfied sleep, then you are probably suffering from insomnia. Check Out Yourself if You Have Any of the Following Symptoms: Do you take more than 30 minutes t...  Read Article

In chest x-ray, what is the meaning of bilateral apical inhomogeneities?

Query: Hi doctor, I have applied for a job in abroad. I was asked to get a complete medical checkup. In the chest x-ray report, it was mentioned as bilateral apical inhomogeneities. What does it mean?  Read Full »

Does my chest x-ray show any nodules of concern?

Query: Hello doctor, I am looking for a second opinion regarding my chest x-ray. The chest x-ray showed no masses, nodules or pneumonia. I just have a very mild inflammation and an old rib injury. The doctor told me that I had heart deformities, but I already knew about those.  Read Full »

Ask a Pulmonologist Now