Q. Does polycythemia occur due to smoking?

and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Jun 03, 2019

I was recently diagnosed with polycythemia due to increased red cell count of 5.28x10^12/L, HCT 0.466, and hemoglobin of 161 g/l. I stopped smoking two weeks ago. Six months ago, when I started to smoke, I smoke only four cigarettes per day. Would the high red cell count be a case of secondary polycythemia, or would it be due to smoking? If so, would my red cell count decrease after a month after I have smoked? Also, in this situation, would I need to take a low dose aspirin before a long haul flight (12 hours)?

Hematology Pathology
#

Welcome to the icliniq.com.

You have polycythemia. It can be primary or secondary polycythemia. The primary polycythemia is the cancer of bone marrow, which means myeloproliferative neoplasm. However your total WBC count and platelet count within range. So the chance of primary polycythemia less. You have an excess smoking history. Thus smoking can lead to secondary polycythemia, which is a pure benign condition. Smoking can decrease oxygen level in blood and so compensatorily more red blood cells produced.

You have to stop smoking to cure your secondary polycythemia. If you stop smoking than gradually your CBC (complete blood count) will be normal. Drink lots of water like two to three liters per day to help in your polycythemia. You may need not to use aspirin as per my opinion. I hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

What is the meaning behind my blood values?

Query: Hi doctor, What is the meaning behind having these blood values? MCV 72.9- MCH 25.0- RBC 5.79+ All other values are normal except for globulin 2.15. Can it be an anemia while having normal hemoglobin and normal RBC count (even higher than normal?  Read Full »

Do increased levels of RBC and vitamin B12 indicate early onset polycythemia vera?

Query: Hi doctor, My RBC levels have been slightly elevated for the past six months. It was 5.17 a year back, and a couple of months back it was 5.39. I noticed that from the last two years, the RBC count has been borderline high. Last week my vitamin B12 was tested due to a nerve issue in my face, which ...  Read Full »

Is polycythemia vera related to cancer?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a female, 50 years old and want to know whether polycythemia vera is related to cancer or not. I have taken JAK2 mutation test which is negative. What is this test for? I have erythromelalgia blood disorder. Is all this connected to cancer? I want to understand this test and doubts...  Read Full »

Ask a Hematologist Now