Q. My blood smear shows mild anisopoikilocytosis. Should I be concerned?

Published on Mar 12, 2017 and last reviewed on: Apr 27, 2019

I am 39 years old. I got a master health checkup done last week. In the blood report, RBC smear shows mild anisopoikilocytosis with normochromic red cells mixed with microcytic, hypochromic red cells, and no hemoparasites. I am attaching my test report. What is the treatment for this?

Hematology Pathology
#

I have gone through your test report (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Your peripheral smear showing mild microcytic RBC (red blood cells) and MCV (mean corpuscular value) are slightly low, but I do not think it needs any further workup as all other smear findings are normal.
  • Your postprandial glucose is elevated, which is suggestive of diabetes. I suggest you start taking Metformin after consulting your doctor. Control your sugar intake.
  • The GGT (gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase) and ALP (alkaline phosphatase) values are also high with mild SGPT (serum glutamic pyruvic transaminase) elevation. Therefore, liver conditions have to be ruled out. I suggest you get USG (ultrasonography) abdomen done. If fatty liver or gallstone is present, then you have to reduce weight.
  • Avoid alcohol and fatty food. Do regular exercise and also get your blood pressure checked. Take care and consult your physician for examination with keeping all this in mind.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

How to get someone to stop taking alcohol forever?

Query: Hello doctor,My husband takes too much alcohol daily. I want him to stop alcohol forever. About one week before, we have done a health checkup. His SGPT level has increased by 108. What should I do now?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Regarding quitting the alcohol, firstly you need to take him to nearby deaddiction center. You need to talk to him regarding the harmful consequences like liver damage which has now begun. You need to take him into confidence and take him to deaddiction center. There...  Read Full

Why am I urinating more than 10 times a day?

Query: Hi doctor, I have to pee a lot of times a day though I do not have to wake up at night to go to the toilet. I have control over pressure, but I have to go more than 10 times a day. Also, I have to pass the stool after every meal. Why?  Read Full >>

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please measure your fasting and postprandial blood glucose level as you might have diabetes. It is usually accompanied with increased thirst and increased hunger. Also, please get a urine analysis as you might have a urinary tract infection. It is usually accompanied with...  Read Full

My heart beats fast and eyes become red if I drink alcohol. Is there a treatment?

Query: Hello doctor,My heartbeat raises and the eyes become very red and I become tired when I take alcohol. Why does this happen so? And, what is the treatment?  Read Full >>

Dr. Nidhin Mohan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The alcohol ingested is metabolized in the liver and converted to acetaldehyde. This takes place in the liver. The variations in the effect of alcohol in different people take place because of the difference in the genetics of enzymes called alcohol dehydrogenases (A...  Read Full

Ask a Hematologist Now