Q. How to deal with post-COVID complications?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

I had a COVID-19 infection in March 2020. Post COVID-19 infection, I am having problems like blood clots, skin swelling, neck swelling, migraines, heart palpitation, reduced sweat, swelling in the gut, muscles pain, restless legs, fatigue, pain in lymph nodes, dizziness, tingling sensation in the muscles, unable to walk or move, and irregular periods. I have quit smoking, but the health issues have worsened day by day.

I have had MRI scans of the abdomen, and the result showed fatty liver and stomach hernia (part of the stomach is locked under the diaphragm). Whenever I have red, swollen patches on the skin, I take blood thinners to help with circulation issues and get the red patches resolved; however, it is only temporary.

When I watched my blood under a microscope, there seemed to be heavy clotting and a lot of clear fluid surrounding the cells. I tested this under normal conditions, but after exercise and exposure to the sun, the blood seemed to be less clotted and looked quite close to normal. I compared my blood with my boyfriend's blood and found that his blood was dry and dead the next day, while my blood was still red and moving around under the microscope after 24 hours. This could be because the fluid in the blood kept it alive, but I found it a bit strange. I am not sick anymore and have no health problems besides this.

Currently, I am taking,

• Aspirin.
  • Thyroid supplements.
  • Vitamin D and Vitamin E supplements.
  • Alka-Seltzer.
  • Mylanta.
  • Advil.
  • Wine.
  • Home-made medicine using herbs (rosemary, sage, garlic, oregano, basil, turmeric, and ginger).

Pre COVID-19 infection - I had minor issues with my muscles. I have had an MRI scan and urine and blood tests. The scan report showed a hernia in the stomach, and the blood test showed a fungal infection and damaged liver cells.

The intensity of muscle issues and swelling has increased after the COVID-19 infection.

#

I just read your query, and from what you have attached (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), it appears that you have long covid symptoms.

I suggest,

• An ultrasound thyroid and thyroid function test considering the neck swelling you mentioned.
  • Avoid taking thyroid supplements and would advise not to mix other herbs and wine.
  • Magnesium supplements and vitamin K2 supplements help with the symptoms you describe.
  • Go on a low-carb diet that will help you further with your symptoms.
  • Slightly elevated cholesterol can be lowered by regular brisk walking.
  • Blood thinners are not recommended unless prescribed by a cardiologist for a cardiovascular event.
  • Kindly mention your blood pressure value. Of course, a low salt diet and that brisk walk will help lower your blood pressure and improve your blood circulation tremendously.

Palpitations can be assessed by an ECG (electrocardiogram), 24-hour Holter monitoring, and consult a cardiologist after doing these tests.

|