Q. For infected tooth, is root canal a right solution?

Dr. Nupur Prashant Shah
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 04, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 17, 2020

I had my lower right side first molar extraction about a month ago. My dentist prescribed a course of antibiotics. The pain persisted after I finished the course of antibiotics and so the dentist again prescribed a five day antibiotic course. A week went by with no pain and then the pain re-occurred. My medical doctor prescribed a third course of antibiotics now. I fear that there is an infection under the gum line that is not being addressed by the antibiotics. Since I started the latest course of antibiotics, the pain is on and off. When I have the pain, it bounces around even to the head. I feel there may be some nerve damage when the tooth was pulled. I am taking Clindamycin for this issue. Also, I am on Insulin for type 1 diabetes, Cyclobenzaprine, Levothyroxine and Lisinopril. My regular dentist wants me to see an endodontist, on the theory that one of the neighboring teeth is infected and their solution is to do a root canal. I hear that the root canals are a bad idea as a dead tooth is left in place to seep bacteria into the body. If possible, Can I get an antibiotic injection at the site of the infection? Please give me your thoughts. Thank you.

#

I can understand your concern regarding to dental health.

• First of all, I would like to suggest you go for a clinical examination of an affected area.
  • If there is dry socket, then follow your dentist's advice to resolve it.
  • Also, go for an x-ray of the lower right second molar to rule out the presence of decay, which affects the pulp or not. If a deep decay present, then you must have to go for RCT (root canal treatment).
  • Brush twice daily in circular motion. Change your brush after every three months. Do gargles after every meal.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|