Q. I get flashes or lightening in the eye. What could it be due to?

Dr. Rahul Vaswani

I am a 50 year old female. I get flashes or lightning in the eye. I am taking medicines for diabetes, blood pressure, and thyroid.

Dr. Rahul Vaswani

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

This is the age where you get posterior vitreous detachment. It is a naturally occurring age-related phenomenon where the vitreous jelly separates from one's retina and in this process, one might experience a ring-like floater and probably some flashes.

Some warning signs you can watch out if there is something abnormal:

1. Many floaters instead of one.
  2. Size of floater increases suddenly.
  3. A significant decrease in vision.
  4. Too many flashes.

If these occur, please consult a vitreoretinal expert ophthalmologist for a dilated fundus examination to rule out any areas of weakness in the retina. Till then, start Nepafenac eye drops once at bedtime to hasten the PVD process.

For more information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

| 

What is your opinion regarding the tiny specks in vision?

Query: Hi doctor, Is it normal to see tiny specks in vision when looking at plain wall or plain surface or when in darkness. My retina check is fine. Is it something to worry about?  Read Full »

Why am I seeing flashes of light in side vision?

Query: Hello doctor, Sometimes I see flashes of light as kind of line in the side vision. That too where more light focus is there on the walls, etc. That too if I observe clearly.  Read Full »

Why am I noticing peripheral flashes with eye floaters?

Query: Hello doctor, For the past three weeks, I have had my normal right eye floaters seem strange. I noticed peripheral flashes when blinking and walking and quick black narrow lines. I saw an ophthalmologist. He found the retina to be fine. I now have some flashes around peripheral in the right eye and...  Read Full »