Q. I am type 1 diabetic and having vision changes with floaters. Is it due to diabetic retinopathy?

Dr. Dada Peer K
Published on Dec 06, 2019 and last reviewed on: Dec 09, 2019

I am 27 years old. I got late-onset type 1 diabetes when I was 25 years old. I was told diabetic retinopathy takes at least five years, but I have had some vision changes. I am concerned about that. I have been seeing rather large floaters. They are not crystal floaters but appear in bright sunlight as transparent dark lines and in dimly lit rooms, when they move over light, they appear white.

A couple of days ago I was driving at night and might have seen a flash, but it also could have been lightning in the sky off in the distance but I am not sure. Since then I have not seen any obvious flashes but have been questioning whether I am seeing small, barely visual ones. I made an appointment for a diabetic eye exam and the soonest I could get into an ophthalmologist who takes my insurance is in two and a half weeks. Is this too long to wait? I will definitely pay out of pocket for an exam if scheduling sooner could save my vision.

Dr. Dada Peer K

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

I reviewed your history. The symptoms of flashes of light with the presence of floaters along with the history of diabetes require evaluation. Waiting for two and a half weeks will be too long considering your profile as you are having type 1 diabetes. Five years is the time period we give for the screening of diabetic retinopathy in type 2 diabetes, but in type 1 there is no time frame as such and this can occur early also. Hence, I advise you to schedule your eye examination early as possible with your ophthalmologist.

Vitreous degeneration, vitreous detachment, vitreous hemorrhage, diabetic retinopathy.

Indirect ophthalmoscopy.

Vitreous detachment.

Needs to be planned depending on the diagnosis.

Avoid straining, lifting heavy weights, running, heavy exercises.

Eye examination at the earliest.

| 

Can laser be used to treat eye floaters and retinal tears?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 29 years old. I have eye floaters in both my eyes. I am suffering from nearsightedness, and I have retinal tears. I consulted several doctors, but I did not get proper answers. The topic of eye floaters is not studied well in my country. My ophthalmologist says that I should do no...  Read Full »

What is an alternative to Lantus in controlling blood sugar level?

Query: Hello doctor, I have moderate NPDR and I am diabetic for the last 15 years. I am 189 cm tall and weigh 89 kg. I was taking fast acting insulin Humalog 25 and tablet Tragenta Duo 1000 1-0-1 for the past 2 years. After I found NPDR, I shifted to Lantus as the doctor said NPDR can cause sudden variat...  Read Full »