Q. Can I take ginger during pregnancy?

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Khurana
Published on Feb 02, 2019

I am 15 weeks pregnant and I daily drink a green juice with about 4 g of fresh ginger. I have just read that more than 1.5 g of ginger daily can cause miscarriage and problems for the baby. Please, could you confirm if 4 g of fresh ginger can be harmful to the baby?

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Khurana

Family Physician Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Generally, ginger is taken during pregnancy to relieve nausea and vomiting of pregnancy but care should be taken if the patient is on blood thinners, etc. Ginger root tea in a moderate amount not exceeding more than 4 gm is acceptable. I think you should not take too many juices as they themselves cause gastritis. Eat small frequent meals every two hours and have at least 8 to 9 serving of food every day. During the first three months, eat whatever you like but all-in moderate amount.

| 

Can ginger be used for hair fall control?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a few doubts regarding the herbal remedies of hair. What are the benefits of ginger for hair that has gotten thinner? What exactly in ginger can help boost hair growth and how does it work? What are the advantages of mixing olive oil with ginger for thinning hair? Is there anythi...  Read Full »

How does severe endometriosis affect pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor,My wife has severe endometriosis as well as several other pre-existing conditions. She was recently approved for Zoladex to treat the endometriosis. She is supposed to have her first injection in the next few days. Today we were in the emergency room. She was slightly tachycardic as wel...  Read Full »

For how long must I take Ayurveda therapy for rheumatoid arthritis?

Query: Hello doctor, I have rheumatoid arthritis and take Trikata, Sinhanad guggul and Shalaki. I also use psyllium and ginger tea. I take massage with sesame oil and maharanayana oil. For how long must I take this therapy to feel better? Is this therapy alright? How is your experience with rheumatoid art...  Read Full »