Q. Six days after taking I-pill, I got light bleeding. Is this a withdrawal bleeding?

Dr. Uzma Arqam
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 28, 2020 and last reviewed on: Nov 05, 2020

I had unprotected sex ten days back, and I took I-pill within one hour after intercourse to avoid pregnancy. My last period was 15 days before the intercourse. Six days after the intercourse, I got light bleeding, which is dark brownish, but today it has slightly increased with red blood. Should I be worried about pregnancy, or this assures that I am not pregnant? And when can I expect my period? Is this a withdrawal bleeding?

#

Emergency contraceptive pills are hormonal contraceptive pills that interfere with regular periods by inhibiting ovulation and can irregulate periods or can give withdrawal bleed within two weeks of the period. This bleeding is in response to I-pill (Levonorgestrel) that you took to avoid conception; now body needs some time to readjust and again schedule periods. I do not know precisely when you took medicine or whether you took a full dose or not? Always have a balanced diet, weight, and BMI (body mass index). Suppose you are too anxious in fear of getting pregnant. In that case, you can check it by a blood pregnancy test, serum beta HCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) to be on the safer side, that would be most likely negative. I hope things would be better.

Hormonal intake.

Serum beta HCG.

As given above.

If needed.

Thanks for your reply.

I had sex on the 17th day from my last period and took a pill on the same day. It was an emergency pill called I-pill, which was a single-dose pill. I usually have a 28 days cycle. I know it is just my anxiety, but should I wait till next month for periods to come or do a pregnancy test?

#

Since you are still bleeding, it is better to have serum beta HCG now to avoid the stress that would be hopefully negative. Next month the body will readjust itself to start the process of periods after this bleeding.

|