Q. I got a faint positive line on the pregnancy test. Am I pregnant or my medicines caused it?

Dr. Deepti Kurmi

I am getting a faint positive line on the pregnancy test. I was diagnosed with pcod and I am taking ovaries plus one tablet after dinner and Oosure-M two tablets twice daily. I took a pregnancy test and got a faint positive line. Am I pregnant or my medicine causes false-positive lines?

#

I have read your message. The sensitivity of pregnancy test kit are very high. They can be false negative, but not a false positive. I mean if it is showing positive, then definitely you are pregnant. Faint positive lines can occur due to delayed ovulation which leads to delayed conception. As you have not mentioned your last menstrual date, I suggest that usually after two weeks of ovulation, it always comes proper positive. You can go for a blood test called bhcg (beta-human chorionic gonadotropin) for 100 percent confirmation about pregnancy. BHCG is the name of a blood test. It should be done twice in 48 hours. If the second value is doubling, then, definitely, it indicates a healthy growing pregnancy. The investigation to be done is serum BHCG. You need to start taking Folic acid 5 mg once daily.

Okay. Thanks for confirming. I just want to confirm whether my medicine does not cause a false-positive result.

#

These medicines do not cause a false-positive result.

Thanks for confirming again. I took the first test two days back and the second test today. The positive line is more prominent today than the first test.

#

You are welcome. Now your pregnancy is growing. That is why it is becoming darker than the previous one.

Okay. Shall I continue taking Ovaries plus and Ossure-M or do I need to stop taking it now?

#

You can register yourself with the local gynecologist for further treatment.

Shall I continue taking Ovaries plus and Ossure-M or do I need to stop taking these medicines now?

#

You do not require these medicines in pregnancy. But Ossure-M contains Metformin. You will require Metformin in pregnancy. You continue your medicines until you meet a gynecologist because medicines need to be revised. Metformin alone needs to be started for you along with Folic acid supplements.

|