Q. Is it possible for me to be still pregnant after an abortion?

Dr. Purushottam Sah
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 17, 2017 and last reviewed on: Mar 20, 2021

I had an aspiration abortion at five weeks of pregnancy about a month ago. The day after the procedure all my pregnancy symptoms went away. I started birth control two days later. I just ended my first period a week ago. I am currently on the birth control pill Aviane. I have not had sexual intercourse since the procedure. Yesterday I woke up in the middle of the night feeling nauseous, and today I am having some stomach aches and diarrhea. I am not nauseous anymore. I do not want to take a pregnancy test as I am scared that I might get a false positive result. I would just like a medical professional to advise that it is not possible for me to be still pregnant since I got my period.

#

• What you got is not a period but a withdrawal bleeding caused by finishing of contraceptive pills. Your symptoms may be due to the effect of the pills.
  • Though rare pregnancy may continue even after aspiration and even in the presence of bleeding.
  • To get rid of the anxiety the best option for you is to do urine pregnancy test. It almost never gives false positive results though false negative are common. Another alternative is to go for ultrasound test of the pelvis.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

The doctor who performed the procedure saw no sack at the conclusion of the procedure, and I have not had intercourse since the procedure. Still, you suggest that I take a pregnancy test to be sure? I know what withdrawal bleeding is and I am confident this was a period. It was heavy for two days, and then it got light and stopped during the white pills. If I were pregnant, it would not have occurred.

#

• I am not suggesting that you are pregnant but as mentioned pregnancy may continue in the presence of bleeding though rarely.
  • Even after aspiration, pregnancy may carry on, as at five weeks it is tiny, and the chance of missing is more in comparison to that at six to seven weeks.
  • Bleeding after completing contraceptive pills is always a withdrawal bleeding, whatever be the amount or duration. A period occurs about two weeks after the ovulation, and contraceptive pills suppress ovulation. Hence it is not periods.
  • I suggest doing a pregnancy test if you are anxious about your condition and most probably it will come negative. In a rare situation of continued pregnancy if you know it earlier, then you will be able to manage it better.

|