Q. Why is there a sharp pain near lower abdomen in a pregnant lady?

Dr. Purushottam Sah
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 01, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 30, 2019

My wife is 31 years and she is in her sixth month of pregnancy. For past one week, she is feeling mild pain in her left thigh region near to lower abdomen. Yesterday, she experienced sporadically sharp pain especially while she got up from chair in office and difficulty while walking. Today also similar situation. This weekend we plan to travel by train. What precautions need to be taken? Kindly advice.

Dr. Purushottam Sah

Andrology Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology Sexology
#

• It may be ligament pain. So, she should avoid lifting weights and climbing stairs.
  • For pain, she can apply Volini gel (Diclofenac) and take Paracetamol. But, if pain increases then better to see a doctor.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

She did not use to life heavy weight or climb stairs in the past. Still, is it normal to get such pain in the ligament during this pregnancy time? Can this pain be due to pregnancy? She is afraid of taking Paracetamol due to pregnancy. Can we do anything without any tablets? Can a stretching exercise ease out the pain? Please guide.

Dr. Purushottam Sah

#

• It may be due to stretching of the ligament of uterus also as the uterus is increasing in size. So, she should lie on her left side.
  • She can apply hot or cold compress to the pain area.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|