Q. Will Norfloxacin cause any birth defect?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 27, 2016 and last reviewed on: Mar 21, 2020

I have just tested positive by preganews. But, I am suffering from diarrhea and consumed a tablet of Norflox and Pan D. Will it cause any effect on my baby? Please inform me. Thank you.

#

Firstly congratulations for having conceived.

• Ideally a single dose of Norfloxacin would not affect the conception in any way. But, it should be discontinued as it is a category C drug where risks have to be weighed against benefits before usage in pregnancy.
  • So, please avoid it hence and resort to conservative management with ORS (oral rehydration salt) sachets for rehydration, probiotics like curd to re-establish gut flora.
  • Pantoprazole (PAN-D) is a category B drug, which means that it has not been found to cause harm to unborn babies in animal, so it is safe in pregnancy.
  • Presently you need not worry as single dose is not adequate to cause any defects in the fetus, but yes hence avoid it completely.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

I have consumed two tablets of Norflox. One at 6:30 PM and another at 10 PM yesterday. My urine is deep yellow today morning. Is this normal?

#

• It is still fine to have taken two doses. It ideally should not affect your fetus.
  • You cannot do anything about it now. All you can do is to stop medication and wait and watch the pregnancy grow.
  • There is no means to find out if it has affected the child until 13 weeks when nuchal translucency scan can be done or any structural defect only by 18th or 20th week.
  • Generally if the baby is defective then the nature itself does not allow it to grow further and one may have a missed abortion. But, I am here assuring you that two doses are fairly ineffective in causing any harm to your baby.
  • Please increase your water intake to 5 to 6 liters a day.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|