Q. Will Norfloxacin cause any birth defect?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 27, 2016 and last reviewed on: Mar 21, 2020

I have just tested positive by preganews. But, I am suffering from diarrhea and consumed a tablet of Norflox and Pan D. Will it cause any effect on my baby? Please inform me. Thank you.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Firstly congratulations for having conceived.

• Ideally a single dose of Norfloxacin would not affect the conception in any way. But, it should be discontinued as it is a category C drug where risks have to be weighed against benefits before usage in pregnancy.
  • So, please avoid it hence and resort to conservative management with ORS (oral rehydration salt) sachets for rehydration, probiotics like curd to re-establish gut flora.
  • Pantoprazole (PAN-D) is a category B drug, which means that it has not been found to cause harm to unborn babies in animal, so it is safe in pregnancy.
  • Presently you need not worry as single dose is not adequate to cause any defects in the fetus, but yes hence avoid it completely.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

I have consumed two tablets of Norflox. One at 6:30 PM and another at 10 PM yesterday. My urine is deep yellow today morning. Is this normal?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• It is still fine to have taken two doses. It ideally should not affect your fetus.
  • You cannot do anything about it now. All you can do is to stop medication and wait and watch the pregnancy grow.
  • There is no means to find out if it has affected the child until 13 weeks when nuchal translucency scan can be done or any structural defect only by 18th or 20th week.
  • Generally if the baby is defective then the nature itself does not allow it to grow further and one may have a missed abortion. But, I am here assuring you that two doses are fairly ineffective in causing any harm to your baby.
  • Please increase your water intake to 5 to 6 liters a day.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Why am I having diarrhea following constipation for a long time?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having a slightly upset stomach with bloating for the past four months. I thought I had a bug. Two weeks later, it seemed much better. However, my bowel movements did not return to normal. I had mostly constipation for about a month (even though my stomach did not feel as upset anym...  Read Full »

Pregnancy and Birth

Article Overview: Pregnancy is the time taken for a fetus to develop inside a woman’s womb. Sometimes, if more than one embryo develops inside the uterus at the same time, it is known as a multiple pregnancy.  Read Article

Dr. Shruti Kainth Kaushal

Overview: Pregnancy is the time taken for a fetus to develop inside a woman’s womb. Sometimes, if more than one embryo develops inside the uterus at the same time, it is known as a multiple pregnancy. It typically lasts for 40 weeks from the last menstrual period (LMP). A woman can get pregna...  Read Article

Is Pantoprazole allergy something to be concerned about?

Query: Hello doctor, I had indigestion problems last month and I was given a Pan 40 injection in a 24/7 hospital in my locality. The moment I was given the injection, my body developed rashes, redness, and itching. My doctor immediately gave Avil injection after which rashes and redness subsided. Two days...  Read Full »