Q. I was diagnosed with POF, but I have pelvic pains for 3 to 4 days every month. Am I ovulating?

Dr. Purushottam Sah

I am a 42 year old female, and I was diagnosed with POF, a year after I had my first child. I took HRT for about two years, and I gave up all hopes of conceiving. However, from the past 6 to 7 months, I am having pelvic pains with migraines and back pains for 3 to 4 days. Sometimes, it lasts longer from the 15th to 20th of each month. Could I have been ovulating or am I sick?

Dr. Purushottam Sah

Andrology Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology Sexology
#

• If you have cyclical pain, then the chances are that you are ovulating, but then you would have menstruation. The most likely possibility is of ovarian cyst or chocolate cyst. You should get an ultrasound examination of the pelvis, to exclude ovarian cysts.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

I actually got an ultrasound when it first started a few months back, and the doctor did not detect anything. That is why I do not understand these symptoms lately.

Dr. Purushottam Sah

#

• It would be better if you repeat the ultrasound. As you also have a fever, it could be chronic pelvic inflammation giving the symptoms.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Is this an STD? Can it happen even if I had no sexual activity in years?

Dr. Purushottam Sah

#

• I do not think it to be STD (sexually transmitted disease). It is a common bacterial infection that becomes chronic.
  • It is often diagnosed by clinical vaginal examination, ultrasound, and blood tests like TC (total count), DC (differential count), ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), CRP (C-reactive protein), etc., and is treatable with antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs.

| 

Menstrual Disorders in Adolescent Girls

Article Overview: In this article, I have discussed the most common menstrual problems faced by girls in their adolescence and the method of diagnosis of the same. Read Article

Dr. Ashwini Nanasaheb Talpe

Menstrual problems are common during adolescence due to slow maturation of the system situated in the brain called hypothalamo-pituitary axis. The hypothalamo-pituitary axis is the mediator of the menstrual cycle. The failure of this system may lead to variations in the menstrual cycle. It can last ...  Read Article

Is it safe to take oral contraceptive pill?

Query: Hi doctor, My girlfriend had irregular periods and USG pelvis showed PCOD. So, she is taking COCP. In spite of taking the drug properly, she missed her period this month. Is anything wrong with her? What to do now? Does she need to continue the drug? Or should she stop it? I heard that COCP may caus...  Read Full »

From the attached reports, please tell me the reason for frequent urination.

Query: Hello doctor, From the past few days, I have frequent urination. I am attaching all the test reports that I have done so far. I also got an x-ray and CT scan of the chest, but as I am out, I cannot upload them now. I will upload them later if you need it.  Read Full »