HomeAnswersObstetrics and Gynecologyprolonged periodCan endometriosis result in slight bleeding on and off for a month?

I have slight bleeding on and off for a month. Does it indicate endometriosis?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. Sneha Kannan

Published At September 7, 2020
Reviewed AtSeptember 6, 2023

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I got my regular periods and it stopped after five days. After ten days, it got started again. It was not heavy but I had some clots now and then. Still, it has been two and a half weeks, it has not stopped till now. I have a family history of endometriosis. My mother and my grandmother had it. But I am worried. I do not have this before. I am having prolonged periods for the past two and a half weeks. Kindly help.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

It seems that you have prolonged menstrual bleeding. There are many reasons to have this issue. It is very important to reach a definitive diagnosis by doing certain investigations. So that, appropriate treatment can be given. As you have a family history of endometriosis, it can also be a reason for having prolonged bleeding with pain. The other causes can be hormonal imbalance, uterine and cervical lesions, PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome), pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), bleeding disorders, and rarely cancer of the uterus, cervix, vagina, and ovary. If you are not knowing the definitive diagnosis and taking treatment, then you can have a chance to develop fatigue due to low hemoglobin levels. It affects your lifestyle and other activities. You need to do these investigations and it helps you a lot. Have a follow-up after getting the results.

The Probable causes

You have abnormal uterine bleeding.

Investigations to be done

You need to do a complete blood count, thyroid function test, coagulation profile, and ultrasound pelvis. You can also do transvaginal to know about endometrial thickness, polyp, fibroid, endometriosis, congenital abnormalities, or any other local pathology. You need to do tests for STI (sexually transmitted infections) if you are sexually active.

Differential diagnosis

You can have hormonal imbalances, uterine, cervical lesions, PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome), pelvic inflammatory disease, bleeding disorders, and rarely cancer of the uterus, cervix, vagina, and ovary.

Treatment plan

You can take tablet Tranexamic acid 500 mg twice a day while having heavy bleeding.

Preventive measures

Take proper nutrition and do exercise.

Regarding follow up

Have a follow-up after getting the results.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Priyadarshini Tripathy
Dr. Priyadarshini Tripathy

Obstetrics and Gynecology

Community Banner Mobile

iCliniq's FREE Newsletters

Expert-backed health and wellness information, delivered to your email.

Subscribe iCliniq
By clicking Subscribe, I agree to the iCliniq Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of iCliniq subscriptions at any time.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Obstetrics and Gynecology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy