Q. I have slight bleeding on and off for a month. Does it indicate endometriosis?

Dr. Priyadarshini Tripathy
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 07, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 09, 2021

I got my regular periods and it stopped after five days. After ten days, it got started again. It was not heavy but I had some clots now and then. Still, it has been two and a half weeks, it has not stopped till now. I have a family history of endometriosis. My mother and my grandmother had it. But I am worried. I do not have this before. I am having prolonged periods for the past two and a half weeks. Kindly help.

#

It seems that you have prolonged menstrual bleeding. There are many reasons to have this issue. It is very important to reach a definitive diagnosis by doing certain investigations. So that, appropriate treatment can be given. As you have a family history of endometriosis, it can also be a reason for having prolonged bleeding with pain. The other causes can be hormonal imbalance, uterine and cervical lesions, PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome), pelvic inflammatory disease, bleeding disorders, and rarely cancer of the uterus, cervix, vagina, and ovary. If you are not knowing the definitive diagnosis and taking treatment, then you can have a chance to develop fatigue due to low hemoglobin levels. It affects your lifestyle and other activities. You need to do these investigations and it helps you a lot. Have a follow-up after getting the results.

You have abnormal uterine bleeding.

You need to do a complete blood count, thyroid function test, coagulation profile, and ultrasound pelvis. You can also do transvaginal to know about endometrial thickness, polyp, fibroid, endometriosis, congenital abnormalities, or any other local pathology. You need to do tests for STI (sexually transmitted infections) if you are sexually active.

You can have hormonal imbalances, uterine, cervical lesions, PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome), pelvic inflammatory disease, bleeding disorders, and rarely cancer of the uterus, cervix, vagina, and ovary.

You can take tablet Tranexamic acid 500 mg twice a day while having heavy bleeding.

Take proper nutrition and do exercise.

Have a follow-up after getting the results.

|