Q. I have slight bleeding on and off for a month. Does it indicate endometriosis?

Dr. Priyadarshini Tripathy
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 07, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 10, 2020

So I got my regular period on the 2nd of last month and it ended on the 8th then on the 14th it started up again It hasn’t been really heavy except every now and then it will be there has been no clots and it’s now the 6th of this month and it still hasn’t stoped. I do have family history of endometriosis my mom had it and so did my grandmother. But I’m worried this has never happened to me before. I’ve had long periods in the past but nothing past 2 1/2 weeks. HELP!!

#

Hello

Welcome to icliniq.com Thanks for reaching out. I am happy to help you.

Seems like you have prolonged menstrual bleeding. There are a lot of causes attributed to this. It's very important to reach a particular diagnosis by doing certain investigations. So that we can opt for the right treatment for you.

As you mentioned you have a strong family history of endometriosis, which might be one of the reasons for this kind of prolonged bleeding but mostly associated with pain. Few of the other causes are like:

1. Hormonal imbalances
  2. Uterine, Cervical lesions
  3. PCOS
  4. Pelvic inflammatory disease
  5. Bleeding disorders
  6. Rarely cancer of uterus, cervix, vagina, ovary

If we don't do the right diagnosis for this prolonged bleeding and give you appropriate treatment at the right time, there are chances that you might suffer from low hemoglobin levels and leading to easy fatigue, affecting your lifestyle and other activities.

So if you can do the below investigations, it will be very helpful. We can do a follow-up after results are available .

Abnormal uterine bleeding

Complete/ full blood count
Thyroid function test
Coagulation profile
Ultrasound pelvis (If possible transvaginal)- to comment on endometrial thickness, polyp, fibroid, endometriosis, congenital abnormalities or any other local pathology.
STI screen if sexually active

Hormonal imbalances
Uterine, Cervical lesions
PCOS
Pelvic inflammatory disease
Bleeding disorders
Rarely cancer of uterus, cervix, vagina, ovary

If the bleeding is very heavy, you can have Tab Tranexamic acid 500 twice a day while waiting for the results

Proper nutrition and exercise.

After lab/ USG results are available

| 

Can I have i-pill after unprotected sex?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 19 year old girl. I had unprotected sex. My last periods was before two months and still I have not got any. Is there a chance of pregnancy? I have had i-pill twice last year in a gap of 6 months. My periods are sometimes a day or two late. But, I am really worried as I really cann...  Read Full »

What are the causes of prolonged periods and pain after taking birth control pill?

Query: Hello doctor, I had sex with my girlfriend, but I did not ejaculate. As a precaution, she took birth control pill. She is having lower abdominal pain for more than 10 days. And her periods are also prolonged. Please suggest an appropriate solution. I asked the same question to a doctor, and I was as...  Read Full »

How does severe endometriosis affect pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor,My wife has severe endometriosis as well as several other pre-existing conditions. She was recently approved for Zoladex to treat the endometriosis. She is supposed to have her first injection in the next few days. Today we were in the emergency room. She was slightly tachycardic as wel...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»