Q. Will Propranolol help me lower my blood pressure?

Dr. Talapatra Ritendra Nath
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 25, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 14, 2022

I had hip pain mostly related to sciatic and hip muscle pain. The doctor gave me Methylprednisolone 1000 mg of yesterday. The pain subsided, but blood pressure slightly elevated at 135/75 and heartbeat at 110 to 120. Earlier, it was 125/80, and the heartbeat was at 90 to 95. I feel a slight heaviness at the center and back. It may be due to long bed rest or something else. A fast heartbeat bothers me. It is like I am in full-time anxiety. What should I do? Can I continue with that, or should I take a blood pressure-lowering drug like Propranolol HCL? Please advise how to relieve these symptoms resulting due to Methylprednisolone.

#

You are having this tachycardia and hypertension due to the intake of steroids in a high dose. Once when you are off the medicine, your vitals will normalize. There is no need to take any anti-hypertensives. For a fast heart rate, I suggest you take the tablet Metoprolol Sustained Release 50 mg at 8 a.m. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her, and with their consent, take the medicines.

I suggest you do a D-dimer test to rule out pulmonary embolism. Review with a repeat ECG (echocardiogram) and report.

Can I take Propranolol HCL for now?

#

For now, you can take Propanolol. But if you are using it for the long term, then Metoprolol is recommended as it is cardioselective. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her, and with their consent, take the medicines.

|