Does prostate cancer have a strong family history?

Q. Is prostate cancer hereditary?

Answered by
Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 18, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 16, 2023

Hi doctor,

My father was detected to have prostate cancer, but they did not give any stage of his cancer. I am worried about his prognosis. How long he would survive? They have removed his testes and advised him to take Andro Block for life time. They used the term highly suspicious of prostate cancer. The Gleason score was given as 3+3, PSA 7.09. We do not have a family history of prostate cancer or any other cancer. Is it hereditary? I am attaching my father’s report here for your reference. Is there a chance for me to get cancer in the future? I have taken my PSA and it is 0.8. Should I regularly do PSA? I am 38 years old. All my tests, including DRE are normal. I do not have symptoms as such. Should I go for a biopsy?



Welcome to

I sympathize for the medical condition of your father.

Unfortunately, he has moderate to advanced cancer of the prostate (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The biopsy report is suggestive of moderate cancer as per Gleason's score, but if we consider the bone scan to be confirmative of metastasis, then it will be labeled as advanced prostate cancer. Hormone therapyhas been found to be helpful, but can prolong life up to 24 to 36 months in advanced case. Regarding the genetic linkage of the disease, prostate cancer is more common in males with a strong family history of prostate cancer. People who smoke, black males and patients who consume a diet high in animal fat or chromium are at increased risk for this disease. Your report as of today is normal, but if you get symptoms of prostatic enlargement, do go for a regular PSA test (prostate specific antigen).

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Can exposure to radiation cause cancer?

Hello doctor, I am 29 years old and I am worried about bone cancer ... I read that the radiation can cause bone cancer ...   Read full

Can a gay impregnate his wife?

Homosexuality does not have direct genetic inheritance ...   Read full

Do I have a higher risk of getting heart attack as my grandmother and father died due to it?

Hi doctor, I am a 24 years old married woman. My last period was 18th of last month, but I did not get my periods till now. I got a pregnancy test, but it was negative. My hemoglobin is 12. Why did I not get my periods still?   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a General Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.