Q. Is prostate cancer hereditary?

Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 18, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 08, 2020

My father was detected to have prostate cancer, but they did not give any stage of his cancer. I am worried about his prognosis. How long he would survive? They have removed his testes and advised him to take Andro Block for life time. They used the term highly suspicious of prostate cancer. The Gleason score was given as 3+3, PSA 7.09. We do not have a family history of prostate cancer or any other cancer. Is it hereditary? I am attaching my father’s report here for your reference. Is there a chance for me to get cancer in the future? I have taken my PSA and it is 0.8. Should I regularly do PSA? I am 38 years old. All my tests, including DRE are normal. I do not have symptoms as such. Should I go for a biopsy?

#

I sympathize for the medical condition of your father.

• Unfortunately, he has moderate to advanced cancer of the prostate (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • The biopsy report is suggestive of moderate cancer as per Gleason's score, but if we consider the bone scan to be confirmative of metastasis, then it will be labeled as advanced prostate cancer.
  • Hormone therapy has been found to be helpful, but can prolong life up to 24 to 36 months in advanced case.
  • Regarding the genetic linkage of the disease, prostate cancer is more common in males with a strong family history of prostate cancer. People who smoke, black males and patients who consume a diet high in animal fat or chromium are at increased risk for this disease.
  • Your report as of today is normal, but if you get symptoms of prostatic enlargement, do go for a regular PSA test (prostate specific antigen).

For further information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

|