Q. Is PAP test valid for screening prostatitis symptoms?

Dr. Karthik Rajan
Published on Jul 04, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jun 26, 2019

I asked my doctor to do PSA test. The PSA came back normal at 1.0 ng/mL. However, he also did prostatic acid phosphatase test which was high at 4.5 ng/mL. My question is whether prostatic acid phosphatase test is valid for screening or not? Should I need to do these tests again? I had prostatitis symptoms in the past. Now, it seems to be fine.

Dr. Karthik Rajan

Andrology Urology
#

I have gone through your query. Prostatic acid phosphatase (PAP) has been replaced by PSA (prostate-specific antigen test). It is better in the detection of prostate cancer compared to PAP. The elevation of PAP levels alone is not a cause for concern. I hope your treating doctor has done a rectal exam to find out any prostate nodules. If it is normal, then it is not necessary to repeat the tests. Hope this helps you. Feel free to revert back with any questions.

For more information consult an urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

Kindly suggest further line of treatment for my father's urine infection.

Query: Hi doctor, My father has a urine infection since last 15 days. His creatinine is 4.8. The ultrasound report showed enlarged prostate and intact kidney size. He lost appetite since last one month. He is only taking a half glass of milk daily only. His fasting sugar was 113. He is a diabetes patient a...  Read Full »

I am worried about my prostate enlargement. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, The sudden increase in the size of my prostate from 75 g to 100 g in a year worries me. Three biopsy test results taken before six years were negative. The PSA level stabilized, and free PSA ratio was satisfactory. Please see the enclosed results. My problem is frequent urination.  Read Full »

I was advised medicines after a routine prostate test, but I have no symptoms. Please suggest.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 66 year old male. My only medical history is hypertension (controlled) with Norvasc. I went for my routine prostate test a couple of months ago and the result stated: PSA - 9.8 ng/mL. Free PSA - 1.9 ng/mL. Percentage free PSA - 19.4 %. I went back to another doctor a few weeks ...  Read Full »