Q. Will prostate enlargement improve with alpha-blockers?

Dr. Bharat Patodiya
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 19, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have enlarged prostate. Also, my blood urea and creatinine have increased. Will it improve with the treatment of alpha-blockers (Tamdura)?

Dr. Bharat Patodiya

General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Oncology
#

• Kindly mention your age. How much is the value of creatinine? Also, what is the prostate size? Has the digital rectal examination (DRE) and ultrasound KUB (kidney, ureters and urinary bladder) being done or not?
  • I would suggest a prostate biopsy if PSA (prostate specific antigen) is too high or the prostate is hard to touch on examination.
  • If it is benign, then Tamdura (Tamsulosin) will help to a certain extent. But, the treatment plan depends on creatinine level and the level of hydronephrosis (kidney swelling). Kindly revert back with the mentioned details.

USG KUB, DRE and PSA.

1. BPH (benign prostatic hyperplasia).
2. Hydroureter (dilation of ureter) or hydronephrosis.

BPH.

Urological intervention.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to an internal medicine physician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

My age is 73. My creatinine value is 2.52, prostate size 75 cc, PSA 6.78 and HbA1c 5.8. My DRE and free PSA are not checked.

Dr. Bharat Patodiya

#

• Your creatinine is significantly high. We have to evaluate that this is due to prostate or some other cause such as diabetes and painkiller intake.
  • USG KUB will also be very helpful at this moment to tell us whether the kidney damage is from long time or due to recent obstruction. If it is due to recent prostate issues, then I will suggest earliest urological intervention.
  • Do you have diabetes or a history of painkiller intake or any other medication? Do you have urinary complaints such as blood in urine?
  • Is there a family history of prostate cancer? Since your PSA density is low, I am considering this at the last of the list.
  • Do you have any previous report where creatinine was normal and how old is that report? How much is the post-void residual urine volume? This will give us a clue if the problem is due to obstruction.

Revert back with the reports to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

What food can help maintaining BP in a patient with creatinine level 2.7?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife's creatinine is 2.7. Now BP is brought to normal. What food should I give and what to do?  Read Full »

Why is my sperm brown?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 35 year old male. Two weeks ago, I noticed that my semen was brownish. Again yesterday and today, it is the same reddish-brown, and I think it is more watery than usual. I do not have any other symptoms. I do have a varicocele, but I do not think this condition is related to varic...  Read Full »

I am concerned about my PSA and free PSA values. Kindly guide me.

Query: Hi doctor,On a recent visit to the doctor, my PSA was 4.7 and free PSA was 0.78. The prostate was swollen on the right side, but no bumps or nodes felt. I had another PSA test three weeks later and the result showed PSA 2.5 and free PSA 0.60. Under what percentage do the 0.78 and the 0.60 values fal...  Read Full »