Q. Are elevated PSA value and poor bladder control suggestive of cancer?

Dr. Vaibhav

I have been suffering from poor bladder control for the past few years. I have to go to the bathroom frequently, and if I do not get to the toilet in time, I might wet my pants a little. Most of the time, there is good stream urine. There is no pain, and I do not have to strain, but the volume is small.

Kindly help me with this.

#

Since you have a long history of frequent urination, we need to investigate the cause of the problem. Your bladder is contracting more than usual; hence you have increased frequency; this is called overactive bladder. The most common causes for this problem are bladder infection, interstitial cystitis (inflammation of the bladder), bladder stone, or bladder tuberculosis.

The correct protocol to investigate your problem is to start with urine microscopy and ultrasound of the abdomen and pelvis. Depending on the results, other tests like cystoscopy and urodynamic study (study of bladder pressure) would be needed.

You may contact a local Urologist for these above tests. These tests are intended to find the reason for the overactive bladder; once the cause is diagnosed, then proper treatment planning can be done for you.

It has been a long time since I am suffering this problem. It is usually during the daytime. I do not have to wake up at night frequently. Very seldom, unless I woke up mid-sleep.

For most of the causes you mentioned, I should have pain, and something should have been revealed in the urine test. I am saying this because last month, my health check-ups were normal. Also, a urine test was done twice, which was also normal.

#

Mainly, overactive bladder problems are not detected in urine microscopy tests. Since you have an increased frequency, the cause must be present and needs to be diagnosed. Pain need not be present with all the bladder problems.

I am sharing some suggestions that may help you to decrease morning frequency:

1. Less coffee and tea intake.

2. Stress and anxiety are the primary cause of overactive bladder during the daytime, so avoid stress.

3. If night sleep is not proper, morning frequency will also be increased. Sound sleep will help.

Once your proper diagnosis is made, specific treatment planning can be done for you.

I visited a local urologist. the doctor suggested the following tests to be done:

1. PSA value - high.

2. Uroflowmetry - normal.

3. Rectal prostate exam - normal.

4. Transrectal ultrasound of the prostate - normal.

5. Cystoscopy.

Based on the reports, the diagnosis was mild cystitis & very mild prostatitis. I was prescribed antibiotics and bladder control medicines. I am worried if the high PSA value could be suggestive of underlying cancer.

#

In your case, prostatitis is the cause of increased PSA (Prostate-specific antigen) value. The elevated PSA value could be because of infection. If the PSA value is persistent or increasing, MRI (Magnetic resonance imaging) is needed.

You have to take the full course of antibiotics, repeat PSA after twelve weeks, and get a yearly PSA check.

Will the PSA (Prostate-specific antigen) value drop after completing the course of antibiotics? Kindly share your suggestion.

#

Yes, in case of infection, PSA (Prostate-specific antigen) value decreases after a full course of antibiotics. Still, the PSA drop will be very gradual, so the next PSA test should be done only after twelve weeks.

|