iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersNephrologyprotein in urineWhat can cause weakness and high protein content in urine in a diabetic patient?

I am diabetic, feel weak, and proteins in urine are high. Should I change my tablets?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. Sneha Kannan

Published At March 30, 2020
Reviewed AtJuly 17, 2023

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

Recently, I took my blood test. I took a 24-hour urine test. I had a protein of 486 mg/g in my urine. I am diabetic and it is under control. I have a fasting blood sugar of 106 mg/dL and post-prandial blood sugar of 120 mg/dL. I am taking Diapride M 0.5 mg for diabetes and Cetanil T 40 for blood pressure. I consulted a nephrologist and he told me that protein loss is not usual at the age of 62 with diabetes. After that, he advised me to take tablet Cetanil 40 mg. Now, I feel extremely weak. Do I need to change the tablet or medicines for weakness?


Welcome to icliniq.com.

As per your description, you have diabetes, hypertension, and other complications such as retinopathy and nephropathy. Your blood sugar level is good and other investigations look fair. Your doctor has prescribed you the right medicine. Cetanil-T (Cilnidipine with Telmisartan) and it is used to treat proteinuria. It does not cause weakness. The two reasons that cause weakness in you are low blood pressure or low blood sugar. Check your blood pressure in a lying-down position and after standing up for three minutes. If there is a fall of more than 20 mmHg in systolic blood pressure or more than 10 mmHg in diastolic blood pressure, then it is necessary to reduce your anti-hypertensive medications.

Investigations to be done

Monitor your blood pressure as suggested.

Probable diagnosis

You need to rule out postural hypotension.

Treatment plan

You need to reduce your anti-hypertensive medication after checking your blood pressure.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Pranaw Kumar Jha
Dr. Pranaw Kumar Jha


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy