Q. Can prolonged use of PPIs cause indigestion?

Dr. Penchilaprasad Kandikattu

I have taken tablets of Pantoprazole 20 mg for the last ten years to control GERD. Now, I am suffering from a frequent toilet, bloating sensation, gas, indigestion, and headaches. In addition, there seems to be a low level of stomach acid, creating issues due to the prolonged use of PPI.

I had got my endoscopy done four years ago. It gave an impression of a weak esophagus sphincter and the presence of multiple small gastric polyps.

#

Dear, about your health condition, chronic intake of proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) leads to decreased acid in the stomach, leading to subacute intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO). This may lead to bloating and indigestion. So avoid processed sugars and bakery products. Instead, use probiotics to prevent bloating.

Avoid gluten and lactose-containing food. You can use apple cider vinegar in the early morning to prevent bacterial overgrowth. If symptoms have not improved, please consult your gastroenterologist; he will examine and treat you accordingly.

Take care.

|